Drooping tail, floppy purple-ish comb, lethargic

Can you post a pic of her red bottom? Don't worry, there's pretty much nothing these threads haven't seen. If you can put a paper towel under her and get a picture of her poop, that may help give someone a clue to her status as well.

Can you post a pic of her red bottom? Don't worry, there's pretty much nothing these threads haven't seen. If you can put a paper towel under her and get a picture of her poop, that may help give someone a clue to her status as well.
Here’s a photo - it’s a little blurry and I couldn’t get my camera to work but this is what the area looks like. You can see the redness on her skin. Her poo is very liquid and runny - she hasn’t been able to really poop much since we brought her in the house though. She seems like she just wants to sleep. Also, is it strange that another one of our chickens died yesterday? She looked completely fine and we didn’t see any evidence of anything being wrong with her. We’ve never had this happen before and I’m really hoping we don’t lose another chicken 😔. They are loved like pets!

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 8
The red butt is from the Epsom soaks. It increases blood flow. She's been soaked enough. Now place her in her bin in a quiet dark place and leave her alone to rest. Be sure she has water. Put a little sugar in the water to elevate her glucose. She may pass the egg in an hour or it may take over night. Give her more calcium in the morning if she hasn't produced a egg. Be aware that two back to back eggs could be involved.

The red butt is from the Epsom soaks. It increases blood flow. She's been soaked enough. Now place her in her bin in a quiet dark place and leave her alone to rest. Be sure she has water. Put a little sugar in the water to elevate her glucose. She may pass the egg in an hour or it may take over night. Give her more calcium in the morning if she hasn't produced an egg. Be aware that two back to back eggs could be involved.
This is super helpful. Thank you so much!! I have put her in a dark, quiet room and will check on her again in the morning. I really appreciate your help!

We took her to the vet today to see what was going on. She is not egg bound but the vet thought she could have possibly had an internal laying because of the color of her poo. They gave her an antibiotic, diuretic, and NSAID for pain but since we’ve gotten home she has been extremely lethargic and has been breathing heavily. This is what her poo looks like and the position she keeps taking. It seems to me like she is dying, is this what it typically looks like when a chicken dies? My son is just devastated 😔

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 5
Yes, she's probably dying. The liquid emerging from her beak may be an indication of organ shutdown.

Internal laying, especially if it's been happening for a while, is usually fatal unless the abdominal cavity is surgically cleaned out. But even then, the prognosis isn't terrific.

There's a chance she's suffering shock from the stress of the vet visit. Give her one cup of water with one teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda stirred in. Dip her beak to encourage her to drink. If she refuses or is too weak to drink, she's likely dying.

Back
Top Bottom