Droopy tail, lethargic hen, stinky watery green poops help!

Hazza12

Chirping
May 10, 2020
Nottingham, UK
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Hybrid warren, approx 2.5years old. Feels normal weight (will weigh shortly)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Drooped tail, lethargic, not laying, just wants to stand and sleep, super watery green poops that stink with a bit of white in them. After eating this morning when wiping beak on floor liquid came out of her mouth
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
5 weeks ago displayed similar symptoms, (lethargic, droopy) approaching worming time, so we worked our 3 girls, she perked up to her normal self and started laying again and was fine for a week or so, then we went away so they went on a holiday to the chicken hotel and on collection was like this so currently aware 3 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Drinking water and eating layers pellets. Have given her some egg this morning which she wolfed down and has gone back to hunched over
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Watery dark green mess with some white
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Segregated from other girls, have given examination and warm bath in case of egg bound, but couldnt feel egg and no tail pumping or waddling so didn’t really think it was that.
Electrolyte water and some layers pellets with some water and egg in it. Last night ate some yoghurt pellets.
Felt crop was hard yesterday and was squishy this morning although forgot to take food out last night so didn’t clock if empty.
Trawled the poo charts for anything that looks remotely similar :( they’re normally a fairbit more watery than the attached

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Any ideas as to what this could be, ideally would like to treat ourselves although vets is an option
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Have attached picture of her, and her poop
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
normal coop set up is an eglu with straw, run base is woodchip and then they freerange the garden. Chicken hotel was a grassy/woodchip set up.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, she’s my favourite, always wants to perch and be near if we’re in the garden and chirps away and she just looks so sad thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 374E6C93-7019-4263-BA48-4BCA4C0759E0.jpeg
    374E6C93-7019-4263-BA48-4BCA4C0759E0.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 50EF2E13-D6B4-46FF-9259-622D2601C3BE.jpeg
    50EF2E13-D6B4-46FF-9259-622D2601C3BE.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 23C487DC-44D2-4C49-A174-BACA70568052.jpeg
    23C487DC-44D2-4C49-A174-BACA70568052.jpeg
    817.5 KB · Views: 12
Many hens suffer reproductive problem that can cause these similar symptoms, and may also affect the crop from emptying. Check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks anything, to make sure it has emptied overnight. Did she vomit a small amount of water or brown crop contents? Does she have a sour or bad odor from her beak when you press on her crop gently? Here is some reading about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would try to keep her with her friends during the day which is usually best, but you could use a wire dog crate with food and water if you want to monitor eggs and droppings. I would suspect an underlying reproductive issue, but it can be hard to know.

Many hens suffer reproductive problem that can cause these similar symptoms, and may also affect the crop from emptying. Check her crop in the morning before she eats or drinks anything, to make sure it has emptied overnight. Did she vomit a small amount of water or brown crop contents? Does she have a sour or bad odor from her beak when you press on her crop gently? Here is some reading about crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would try to keep her with her friends during the day which is usually best, but you could use a wire dog crate with food and water if you want to monitor eggs and droppings. I would suspect an underlying reproductive issue, but it can be hard to know.
Thanks so much!

I’ll check her crop in the morning, it was a little puddle of clear fluid. No bad smells from her beak when pressed. I’ll give that a read now thank you.

We brought her in last night and She’s been back out with the others today, is continuing to eat and drink although stands around most of the time head tucked and do awful droppings. Thanks so much again!!

Back
Top Bottom