Droopy winged peachic

rockportdawn

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 16, 2014
Rockport, TX
I have a sick peachic who is about 4 months old. We brought here home about 3 weeks ago with 2 other peachics. She has had droopy wings and general lethargy for about three days. I isolated her yesterday , made her warm, and she did eat some. I have tried weighing her and want to give her some safeguard but can't seem to figure out her dosage. I'm really afraid that I've waited too long to start treatment. The other peachics seem ok. It's just gotten cold her so I'm trying to get everyone warmer! Please help

I have a sick peachic who is about 4 months old. We brought here home about 3 weeks ago with 2 other peachics. She has had droopy wings and general lethargy for about three days. I isolated her yesterday , made her warm, and she did eat some. I have tried weighing her and want to give her some safeguard but can't seem to figure out her dosage. I'm really afraid that I've waited too long to start treatment. The other peachics seem ok. It's just gotten cold her so I'm trying to get everyone warmer! Please help

At four months she should weigh about 1.5-2kg. With peas I worry about coccidiosis, blackhead, capillary worms, E. coli and enteritis (FYI, I have peas).

How much does she weigh? If she were mine and had been on dirt, where they're exposed to worms and blackhead, I would de-worm with Safeguard at 0.5ml per kg (0.23ml per pound) for *five* days. Ignore the websites that say to put it in the water, she should be wormed orally, period. That dose will treat capillary worms, cecal worms, gapeworms, roundworms and maybe some tapeworms. I'd also start her on metronidazole at 50mg per kg twice a day for no less than five days. That will treat blackhead and enteritis.

For coccidiosis you'll need Corid. Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon and the liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon.

Can you post a picture of her poop? Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

It's okay to treat with Safeguard, metronidazole and Corid at the same time. You must act quickly or there is a good chance she will die. Keep inside in a quiet, warm room, 80-85 degrees is ideal.

-Kathy

She weighs 1:143 pounds and her poop is a brown color the consistency of strained baby food .
I have the safeguard that I just picked up this morning but didn't know how to get it down her.

I have brought her back in and now she is warming up. She is not interested in drinking but I know that she has lost weight since I picked her up yesterday. How do I figure out her dosing?

She weighs 1:143 pounds and her poop is a brown color the consistency of strained baby food .
I have the safeguard that I just picked up this morning but didn't know how to get it down her.
Is that 1 pound 14.3 ounces or is it 1.143 pounds? Does your scale weigh in grams?

-Kathy

Last edited:
If she weighs 1.143 pounds, that's about 520 grams, which is *way* less than she should weigh for her age. The Safeguard dose for that weight is 0.26ml orally once a day for five days.

If she weighs 1 pound 14.3 ounces, that's 806 grams, which is also less than she should be. The Safeguard dose for that weight is 0.43ml orally once a day for five days.

Maybe these pictures will help:

• Get your supplies ready

• Catch and weigh your bird.

• Calculate dose and prepare one or more syringes. Please note that this method will work for those who use a 1cc/ml syringe. Anything larger is too big and IMNSHO, not safe!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!
  • Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

Repeat five days in a row.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom