Dropping Boards?

fasbendera

Songster
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Midwest
Can people post pictures of their dropping boards under their roosts. I might be putting them into my coop and I want to get an idea of what they look like and how they are mounted and cleaned.

Not a very good picture. I have roosts 2 deep, (16 inches apart) so the droppings board is 33" wide.

31282_sd530210.jpg

Mine is made from plywood with linoleum tiles I had leftover from a bathroom project. It's an easy cleaning job, I just scrape the droppings into a bucket, takes 30 seconds for 15 birds.

21297_roosts_and_dropping_boards_002.jpg

21297_roosts_and_dropping_boards_001.jpg

21297_poop_board2.jpg

23395_imga0169.jpg

I sprinkeld sand on my droppings board to make it easier to clean off, it works, but it still leaves a little behind. I found a scrap piece of vinyl that i'm going to put on top of the board. I think that will work even better.

I couldn't imagine not having one. The thought of all that poop all over
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
My highest roosts are above the nests. 2 x 4s followed by chicken wire to catch any mislaid eggs at night and the poop board below. Scrap the roosts and poops boards every 1-2 days and reapply DE on the roosts (a little filters down onto to the poop board at that time). Takes less than 5 minutes each time. Poop board material is white shower board from Lowe's for $10 per 4 x 8 sheet. Cuts easily with skill saw.
35063_100_0075.jpg

You cant see it very well..but they are on the back wall....i used rabbit cage trays (bought at TSC)..they come out easy and wash easy... i fill them with shavings to help make clean up easier..
Trust me..they are great! I'd never have a coop with out dropping trays now...it makes a BIG difference in keeping the coop clean.

2008_08150044.jpg

This is ours... the walls are clean, just stained
sad.png

We have a board under the roosts with a sheet of linolium tacked to the wall and covering the board, and one on the right angled wall as well. There are shavings over the board, with some Stall Dry. I sweep them out every morning, and add fresh shavings to the board. well, not FRESH , but used shavings from the dirtier parts of the bedding that i find. This way the old stuff gets out, and I add a scoop or so of fresh shavings to the bedding every day, so its constantly being cleaned and added to.

13352_dscf0449.jpg

If you click on the link to my personal page, under my username at left, and look at the photo of the sussexes, you can see the general kind of droppings board that I use. Mind, with that particular one, the nestboxes got pushed back another inch or two after the photo was taken
tongue.png

To clean them I just go along in the morning with a bucket in one hand and a very wide drywall-taping tool (used to use a plastic dustpan) and 'snowplow' the poo off into the bucket. Takes 10 seconds, LITERALLY. I lid the bucket, and every wk or so when enough poo has accumulated I dump it outside at the compost pile.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom