Drowning, hatching, humidity and incubation questions

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
I'm nearing lockdown and I'm using the chick waterer as a humidity source but I've been reading a lot (too much) and I'm nervous about the chicks drowning. It looks like it only fills up the base about halfway. Will they be ok?

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_0917018.jpg
    IMG_20200419_0917018.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 7
It's quite possible for them to drown. If you have something like aquarium glass rocks put them in the waterer to help prevent drowning

Thank you for your reply. If I put cotton balls in to wick up the water will that be ok? I'm mostly trying to use it for humidity right now. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Newly hatched chicks are very uncoordinated immediately after the hatch. They come around pretty quick but I would get that think out of there. Add a shallow bowl with a sponge or towel in it to increase surface area of the water (increase humidity) and still keep the chicks safe. I don't have a picture but do you know what I'm referring to? If not I'll try and find a picture on here.

Thank you for your reply. If I put cotton balls in to wick up the water will that be ok? I'm mostly trying to use it for humidity right now. Thanks to anyone who responds.

If you'd like to do something like this I'd roll up paper towels tightly. Then lay them into the water trough. Should eliminate the stand it water issue and keep up humidity. Paper towels actually hold up pretty good when they're wet. Give it a try.

Thanks for the tips. I already took it out... I have a small mist humidifier in there that's keeping it above 60% and I'm thinking of putting in a sponge. I'm able to access them without opening the 'incubator'.

I set them on April 1st so today is day 18. I candled and they have nice sized air cells, most haven't drawn down but I positioned the eggs so that the larger part is on the top. Most of the air cells are pretty even all around the egg...maybe late developers? There seems to be quite a lot of room for growth in the eggs. Is that normal?

Sorry for the thread drift. Just looking for some reassurance! This is my first time hatching. Temperatures have been consistent, though it varies a couple of degrees from one side to the other.

I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing and hope for the best.

I've had around 25%-30% humidity up until this point. Hoping that the 60-65 during lockdown is enough. But if not I'll throw the sponge in.

...should I delay lockdown by a day if the air sacks haven't drawn down by the morning? Will upping the humidity hurt right now? What should minimum and maximum humidity be for lockdown during a dry hatch?

I'm nearing lockdown and I'm using the chick waterer as a humidity source but I've been reading a lot (too much) and I'm nervous about the chicks drowning. It looks like it only fills up the base about halfway. Will they be ok?
Sorry if this is a silly question but are you asking about the chicks drowning once they hatch or in the shell before hatching? You said you are using the waterer as a humidity source, is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom