Drunk, lethargic hens

Newchikntown

Chirping
Nov 7, 2016
S.E. Oklahoma
My hens are getting sick one at a time. In the last 2 months I have lost 3. They act drunk, sitting around, not roosting, real lethargic. They can't survive 24 hours. We bring them in and the next morning they are dead. Help please! What do I need to do? I have sterilized all feeders and waterers. Changed nesting, and tomorrow I am going through the hen house with bleach water, and cleaning all.

Could they have an internal parasite, like worms or coccidosis? They don’t exhibit any symptoms at all until the “drunken” state? What color are their combs? Fading at all? Are they eating, drinking, pooping, breathing normally before they get sick? What do they eat? Do they have grit? Are their crops empty eachmorning? Sorry about all the questions; I have even more. Just trying to get us pointed in the right direction. Is their coop well ventilated? Is there a stagnant compost pile or dirty water they have access to?

Could they have an internal parasite, like worms or coccidosis? They don’t exhibit any symptoms at all until the “drunken” state? What color are their combs? Fading at all? Are they eating, drinking, pooping, breathing normally before they get sick? What do they eat? Do they have grit? Are their crops empty eachmorning? Sorry about all the questions; I have even more. Just trying to get us pointed in the right direction. Is their coop well ventilated? Is there a stagnant compost pile or dirty water they have access to?
I don't know how to check for internal parasites. They get up in the morning acting this way, the combs are normal, colorful, they eat scratch mixed with layer crumbles. I have given them some cracked corn this week (the first 2 -no cracked corn). Crops are empty in the mornings. They seem to be breathing normal enough we don't notice. No dirty water or compost, we clean daily and trash the poo. Coop is well vented.

hmmm.. my advice is to eliminate possibilities.. give them vitamin supplements and treat with Valbazen (Albenazole) which kills most internal parasites... search online you can get it mail order... its viral there is not much you can do....

Back
Top Bottom