Drunken bird

Hi again guys! :fl
Well I managed to track down my normal vet and took Edie down. I thought she wasn’t coming home with me to be honest.
My vet is super confused, her heart is perfect, her crop is working fine, vent is clear. She says she’s never seen Mareks in an older bird normally only babes & isn’t really sure if it is but we’re going to treat it like it. So I’ve been given some antibiotics and nerve system meds, she’s looking into wether or not steroids could help her also.
So we’re on our second day of meds, she’s a bleeding champion taking them. A tiny blob of jam on a plate with them tucked inside and she just takes, them such a greedy thing. :yesss:
I want to say I see an improvement in her but is that just me being more positive now she’s on medication? But she’s holding herself up for longer and isn’t sitting down to drink or eat, only if she has a veg head to destroy.

She’s currently on (not on the record for chickens but proven to work) kesium twice a day and vitofyllin twice a day. She has chicken recovery in her water feeder as well as nutridrops in a little water bowl she likes to drink from too (she won’t escape the vitamins!) I’ve got another delivery on vitamins for her coming today just to strengthen her. This girl is becoming one expensive hen, I hope she starts laying me gold eggs!

:th

Stay positive I hope she recovers keep us updated I'm following this thread :hugs

It sounds like you have a real handle on things, and I hope that she responds. Is she walking around okay? Will you put her back with her flock fo all to stay familiar with each other? My hen was attacked by flockmates once she was able to walk around after a month. Supervised visits would be good. Keep us up to date on how she is doing.

Good morning chicken friends.

We don’t seem to be improving much with the antibiotics, so I’m guessing it’s not Mareks?
I’ve just got some additional vitamin B complex powder which I’m adding to her water, she loves it because it’s sweet :love
She’s stopped wanting to take meds, even hiding them in scrambled egg or jam she’s picking round them. She’s got a bowl of scrambled eggs sprinkled with vitamin B and tablets hidden, a big bowl of water with poultry drink, a big scoop of vitB & a tablet in, at least if it dissolves and she drinks the water she’s still get it right? :fl

any other tricks I haven’t tried?
I’m absolutely gutted we don’t seem on the up. :confused:

It sounds like you have a real handle on things, and I hope that she responds. Is she walking around okay? Will you put her back with her flock fo all to stay familiar with each other? My hen was attacked by flockmates once she was able to walk around after a month. Supervised visits would be good. Keep us up to date on how she is doing.
They can see each other and they have free reign of the garden so her sisters have been sitting next to her hospital pen. One of my chickens is an absolute nightmare and I don’t doubt she will attack her but once she’s back to full strength I’m hoping she’ll fight back.
She’s not walking well, she’s braving herself with her wings and would rather sit down.

I rehomed a bully and her sidekick. My flock is now peaceful and the victim is happy and has gained weight back. The aggressors have blended very nicely into their new and larger flock.You might need to choose to remove either the victim or the bully.

Mareks will not improve with antibiotics. But if she has has reproductive disorders, it might or might not be helpful to prolong her life. B vitamins can help her appetite and treat her if she has a riboflavin deficiency. Reproductive disorders can create problems walking because of pressure on leg nerves from internal laying or ascites. Glad that she is stable for now.

We’re still no better today.
She’s sitting on her bum rather than her feet still and is so wobbly.
She just seems so Off balanced. :(

Back
Top Bottom