Drunken idiots with guns

gudrin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Minnesota
So I'm awake. I'm usually not at this time of night. All because the neighbor's grandpa died and today was the funeral. Well, not really, but that's the excuse they're using next door shoot off a gun or two. While drunk.

I got woke up about an hour ago by gunshots. Not just a couple like there's a coyote or fox around. No, this was 10-20 of them. Knowing my dogs are gun shy and will destroy things when wound up by gun fire, I go check on them. They're doing okay, so I head back up to bed. There hadn't been any more shots, so I thought they were done for the night. Nope, just get back into bed, and hear more of them. Great. Now my husband is getting up. He goes downstairs, throws on some clothes, and heads out to the dogs to give them some reassurance, then heads next door to find out what the heck is going on. The neighbors were fine, it was one of the cousins that was doing the shooting, with a beer in hand, and got into my husbands face.

Husband: Why the heck are you shooting this late at night?
Cousin: Because we're in the middle of nowhere, that's why!
Husband: That doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want to do.
Neighbor: Well, your dogs howl three times a night every night.
Cousin: Our grandpa died.
Husband: So you're sending him off by shooting?

Some more words were exchanged. The thing about the dogs howling (We have sibes) really got to both of us. We asked them when they moved in if they could hear them and if they were bothered by it. And we have said many times to just let us know when something is bothering them, because we would try to reach a compromise. So seriously? Our dogs are bothering you. That's fine. It's not fine to bring it up when you're drunk and have a gun. And shooting a gun is NOT the same as our dogs howling. The dogs howl for finite amount of time. We had no idea when the shooting would stop, which direction they were pointing, and if our dogs and/or our family were in danger. The girls' room is on that side of the house! We have a three year old and a three month old. My husband came back shaking he was so angry. He didn't speak for the first 15 minutes. I was scared, he rarely gets that angry. But he walked away. He got jeered as he did it, but he made it a point to say, "I won't fight you. You're drunk." I'm proud that he did that. But they were trying to excuse the behavior.
"Oh, we're drunk. "
"Grandpa died, and his funeral was today."

We don't care that they have people over. That doesn't bother us. It's the aimless shooting. Alcohol and firearms do not mix. Unless there's an extenuating circumstance in which you were drinking and you need to defend yourself, family, or property. Not the case here. Ugh.

I envy the husband's ability to just go straight back to bed. I can't now. And I have to get up with the kids at about seven. Hmm...Our lawn needs to be mowed...Maybe I'll do that as soon as I get up. It doesn't have to be really dry, right?

All I had in mind when I went to bed is how I have to pick beans tomorrow so I can freeze them. It will be the first from our garden this year. Stupid neighbor's cousins! I told my husband before he went out that they were lucky I didn't call the sheriff and report shots fired. I didn't because we like the neighbors generally, and they would definitely know it was us calling. We're the only close neighbors. Next nearest are 3/4 mile down the road, and the mother of our neighbors (but a good person, and she would probably call him out on his stupidity). But this is going to take some patching up, I think. My hope is that they feel sheepish when they sober up. My husband did say there were some apologies on both sides, but not from drunken idiot gunman. Ugh. I think I'm going to read some, and see if that can calm me down enough to sleep again.

eta: It's now 1:00 a.m. They seem to have gone to bed. I didn't hear any vehicles leave, so that's good. That'd be about the next thing. Drunk drivers. I would call the sheriff then.

Last edited:
I hate drunks
somad.gif
smack.gif

After things have cooled down I would go over to the neighbors with a cake or something and offer your condolences in the loss of their grandfather.
Then I would ask them if your dogs really bother them and tell them you are sorry and will try to correct the issue.
explain that you guys were concerned about them that night with someone who was drinking and shooting a gun. You were also concerned about your children being on that side of your house where the shooting was happening, because people have been killed by their best friends while drinking and having guns around.

Before anybody elses says something it is called a guilt trip.

Now it sounds like you have a decent if not great relationship with the neighbor no sense in getting into a neighborhood war with them.

Good luck.
hugs.gif

First time, shame on them. Second time- here comes the sheriff. Your husband is to be commended on retaining his composure. No sense trying to reason with a drunk. Not passing judgement here- I played that role entirely too many times. I would speak with the neighbor in good faith and explain that you have small children and that such behavior on the cousin's part is unacceptable. Posts like this make me so thankful that I live where I do.

Bullets travel. Guess they were too soused to remember that. My neighbors sometimes will shoot way after dark. That bothers me since I know they can't see anything out here and though the neighbors are not on top of each other, a stray bullet may find a really unfortunate target.

I personnally knew 2 people who were killed mixing alcohol and guns 1 was horse play the other an argument started and the peacemaker was killed when the gun "accidently went off". Both were in they're 30's. Just one more. When I was in the military 2 gate guards were smoking pot and decided to play Quick Draw. To this day I remember the dead one's name but not the shooters. !8 yrs old.

Things have calmed down. We haven't had too much chance to talk with the neighbors yet, because they've been dealing with all kinds of family stuff now after the funeral, but they are doing the friendly wave they always used to do. I didn't get a chance to get over there with anything yet. My options were pretty limited because of lack in the cupboards (always something to eat, but nothing real "neighborly.") We're thinking of inviting them over for steaks some night. We do have to talk to them anyway, because they had a horse loose today. They have two of their own and are boarding one for an aunt(this horse is allergic to hay, and they have more grazable pasture). It's the one they board that got out. It stayed out, but nearby for the morning, and then suddenly appeared back in the pasture. They need to check their fence lines. Now that she's done this once, she'll probably keep doing it until something gets fixed.

I don't know what to do about the dogs. The only other place we can put them is under our yardlight, and then they'll be howling even more, because they don't get all the dark for sleeping. That and there's really no shade for them over there. We are looking toward putting up a fence for the dogs, and maybe if they're able to interact with each other more, they won't feel the need to howl as much? It's a "hey we're a pack" thing that they're doing when they howl. We're working on it.

Back
Top Bottom