Dry Hatch Humidity

newham0614

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
orange,va
I live in Virginia. I've been reading about this method and want to give it a try. My first hatch went terribly wrong but i've now bought a hygrometer. It's holding steady at 16% with a temp of 101. Is that too low? I have a little giant bator. No fan. I just bought some D'uccle eggs and they will ship monday. Any help?

Hello! I use the dry incubation method myself, but keep my eggs between 20-30% humidity during the setting and then go to the "normal" range of around 55-60% for the hatch-- "lock down". I have had much better hatching results using this method, but I use Hovabators that do have a fan.

have you calibrated your hygrometer so you know it is accurate? If you haven't I will post you a link on how to do it.

Even a dry hatch I'd say get it to 25% put just a little water in there, or put you a small strip of wet sponge in there and keep it moist.

101 is perfect for a still air.
smile.png
sounds like your doing good.

its kind of to "each their own" kind of thing, but definately you want to get it up to 25%. I've had mine right on 25% for 18 days till lockdown where I have popped it up to 60% and I have 2 pips on day 19.
smile.png
I have had bad results with 40+ humidity in the early stages, but thats just me.

Calibrate the hygrometer. You'll need:

salt
water
zipper storage bag
bowl

Using 2 parts salt to 1 part water, you want to make a 'paste' in the bowl. It should look like wet sand. Put the sand/water mixture bowl inside the storage bag. Place the hygrometer inside the bag (NOT in the bowl). Zip it up, for at least 8 hours. After 8 hours, the humidity should read 75%. If it doesn't, you know how far 'off' the hygrometer is and can adjust accordingly
smile.png

I think 16% is too low, I don't add water to my incubator but maybe once a month, but it still stays close to 25%.

The only problem with doing that is once it gets to hatch time you have to take that vent plug out again. I leave the plugs out of mine so I don't have fluctuating temps during the hatch, it's easier to keep it steady.

Back
Top Bottom