Dry ice to kill rats

MichelleT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Denver, CO
Hello! Like most chicken keepers, I have pest problems in the form of mice and rats. The mice I can deal with pretty well, but rats? Not so much. I have tried snap traps, live traps, electric kill boxes and poison. The first three work well for 1-2 rats, but then they learn. The poison I hate, hate, hate... but it works. One year big bull snakes arrived right around the time that the rats showed up... that was my favorite method... it was a win-win for me and the snakes. But alas! No snakes yet this year.

Recently I heard and read about large cities using dry ice to kill large numbers of rats. I’d really like to try this, because it seems the most environmentally friendly as well as clean up friendly. I know I’ll need to hit them more than once, but I can do that. I am finding absolutely no information on how to do this specifically… All I get is “put dry ice in the holes, block off the holes, rats go to sleep”. I have never even SEEN dry ice before, never mind use it. Does it come in a big block that I’m gonna have to chip some off? What the heck is this going look like? Has anyone had any experience and especially success with this method?

The dry ice method basically floods the area with carbon dioxide removing the oxygen. CO2 is heavier than air so it stays on the ground.

It comes in a big block and you have to be really careful with it (wear good gloves) too long on bare skin and it gives frost bite.

Frankly I don't really see it being a very effective method for a home owner but I'm wrong all the time.

Ive never even thought of using dry ice. Ive tried just about everything to get this stinking rat out of my shed. He can get out of sticky traps with no problem some how knows how to avoid the spring traps. The problem I see with the dry ice is you have to get it exactly where the rats are hanging out.

The dry ice method basically floods the area with carbon dioxide removing the oxygen. CO2 is heavier than air so it stays on the ground.

It comes in a big block and you have to be really careful with it (wear good gloves) too long on bare skin and it gives frost bite.

Frankly I don't really see it being a very effective method for a home owner but I'm wrong all the time.
We used to use it for shipping at my work. I better answer is don't let it touch your skin...at all. Never tried to touch it but was told it will instantly freeze skin.

My husband is thinking the same thing... but apparently their taking out 1000+ rats in a day with this in New York, so surely I could do it on a smaller scale and be equally as effective...

I understand the dangers of dry ice and intend to not only wear extremely heavy gloves, but also other protection to be sure that it doesn't end up somewhere on my body that it shouldn't. If I have to whack of chunks, for instance.

I have found what I think are all the holes; I dug into two of them so those are sealed for a day or so (until the dig out) and that brings me down to a manageable 3 holes. We have completely cleaned up the area of stay bits on the ground, so I'm pretty certain I have them all marked.

How about if I put a chunk in my chicken coop and close it up for the day. I have jumping fleas. I will clean out to deep pine shavings, wash out the coop (it's small), put new shavings and DE and neem oil on the floor.

Then add a chunk of dry ice and close it up?

I really want to get rid of the fleas.

How about if I put a chunk in my chicken coop and close it up for the day. I have jumping fleas. I will clean out to deep pine shavings, wash out the coop (it's small), put new shavings and DE and neem oil on the floor.

Then add a chunk of dry ice and close it up?

I really want to get rid of the fleas.
Seems dangerous for the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom