Dry Incubation Help

Kris01

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
UPDATE: These are Olandsk Dwarf Chicken eggs.

Hello I just tried my first dry incubation and only 1 out of the 6 eggs hatched. I am using a styrofoam incubator with a fan inside, if I have 0 water the humidity would be 20-25% which I read was too low. So I added a little water to 1 of the channels for the 1st 18 days and kept the humidity about 30%. The air pockets looked great the entire time, candling day 18 looked great, for lockdown I had the humidity between 50-55% which was all channels filled with water. Day 21 I saw the eggs moving, only 1 hatched out, when candling the other eggs you see a perfect chicken inside but it never broke through to the air cell. I see no movement out of the chickens as well, it appears they died on day 21 without going into the air cell. Any ideas what I did wrong? Was the humidity too low for the lockdown period?

Last edited:
Was the humidity too low for the lockdown period?
I'll include these links, you might see something to help. But low humidity during lockdown will not stop them from internal pipping. It might cause shrink-wrapping but it didn't.

Incubation Troubleshooting - Incubation and Embryology - University of Illinois Extension

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

Common Incubation Problems: Causes and Remedies (ucanr.edu)

I think where Nuthatched is headed is that they may still be good, just not ready to hatch. I think it is a good point but will leave that to him.

I think where Nuthatched is headed is that they may still be good, just not ready to hatch. I think it is a good point but will leave that to him.
But 24hrs after the first egg hatched the others not even moving into the air cell yet?

Back
Top Bottom