Dry incubation.

Bantu

Chirping
Jul 21, 2016
USA
My Coop
My Coop

I'm on day 14 of dry incubation and the humidity is and has been around 22-24%. The room with the incubator is runs around 50%. My air cells look good for day 14 but this is my 3rd attempt at hatching eggs the first two I drowned the chicks. I know the humidity has to come up to avoid shrink wrapping the chicks, My question is should I gradually bring it up to 65% over the next few days or on day 18-19 bring it up fast ?:idunno

Thank you.

I dry incubate in my styros.

usually I just bring humidity up to 75 to 80 per entry on day 18 when I lockdown my chicken eggs.

no gradual increase I just jump it up.

good luck on your hatch this round.

I'm on day 14 of dry incubation and the humidity is and has been around 22-24%. The room with the incubator is runs around 50%. My air cells look good for day 14 but this is my 3rd attempt at hatching eggs the first two I drowned the chicks. I know the humidity has to come up to avoid shrink wrapping the chicks, My question is should I gradually bring it up to 65% over the next few days or on day 18-19 bring it up fast ?
idunno.gif

Thank you.

What was you running your humidity at the hatches before---first 18 days and the hatch? Are you one that opens the incubator the last 3 days to add water, check the eggs, etc, etc?

I'm on day 14 of dry incubation and the humidity is and has been around 22-24%. The room with the incubator is runs around 50%. My air cells look good for day 14 but this is my 3rd attempt at hatching eggs the first two I drowned the chicks. I know the humidity has to come up to avoid shrink wrapping the chicks, My question is should I gradually bring it up to 65% over the next few days or on day 18-19 bring it up fast ?:idunno

Thank you.

What was you running your humidity at the hatches before---first 18 days and the hatch? Are you one that opens the incubator the last 3 days to add water, check the eggs,  etc, etc?

I was running at 45-50% than 65% at day 18. I only candled at day 10 and they were alive. Pulled the plug on day 24. Perfectly formed chicks but I didn't understand about the air cells.They were a little bigger than the size of a dime. So I assume they drowned. Heart broken and a expensive loss $30 for 6 BCM.

I was running at 45-50% than 65% at day 18. I only candled at day 10 and they were alive. Pulled the plug on day 24. Perfectly formed chicks but I didn't understand about the air cells.They were a little bigger than the size of a dime. So I assume they drowned. Heart broken and a expensive loss $30 for 6 BCM.

45 to 50% humidity is high in my opinion, 65 for the hatch is to low in my opinion IF it had of been lower the first 18 days. I am a Firm Believer that on day 18 you remove any bad eggs, increase moisture and Do Not Open again for no reason till they hatch on day 21---if all are not hatched they ALL stay till day 22. This is presuming there is a accurate/calibrated thermometer. But some will not go along with what I just said-----some open at will and in some locations it does not hurt the hatch for some as it does others in a different location. That's your call, all I can say is I do it this way and I have a 95 to 100% hatch rate every hatch compared to myself, my mother, step sister and many friends having awful hatches(some times 2 out of 40 eggs) when we opened some during the last 3 days---so I nor none of them are going to ever open again during the hatch. If you got a question---I will be glad to try and answer. Good Luck in your future hatches.

I've had 100% of fertile eggs hatch several times by running the humidity at 45-50% until day 18, then increasing it to 65-70% for the hatching period. With that said, I've used the same conditions and had some problems with too-wet eggs (not high mortality, though). It just seems to vary.

If you have had problems with too much moisture in the past, I guess I would try lower humidity this time and see if it helps.

Good luck with the incubation!

Back
Top Bottom