Dry INcubation???

Cuqui18

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Concord, Ma
what r peoples experiences with dry incubation??? im thinking of hatching cayuga eggs this summer and ive heard things about dry incubation. comments? recommended? not recommended?
tongue.png

dry incubation doesnt work on ducks so dont try it with duck eggs. ducks need a higher humidity than chicken eggs. I hatched my ducks well with a humidity of 60% the first 25 days and 70% the last 3 days. they loose water easier than chicken eggs.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a related question...

What about when you allow mom to hatch eggs outside? Do they get enough humidity from the air, or how does that work out?

Very good point to bring up aduckstolemyheart. The humidity can come from a few different sources from the duck producing heat causing it to "sweat "- the dampness of her feathers when she gets off to swim and the rising moisture from earth if she has her nest on the bare ground and also as you say- the air. My ducks sleep in a shed with a few glass windows- they are often fogged up with condensation in the mornings due to the humidity increase of them just being inside the shed. This doesnt however mean they are creating humidity for egg hatching the same way- but a small increase to the humidity in a nest could be contributed to the breathing of moist warm air if the duck is sitting in a fairly enclosed area.

Dry incubation can work with duck eggs- there are a few members on here that have tried it and found it to be very successful. It can depend alot on the climate where you live and what time of the year you are incubating.

dry incubation doesnt work on ducks so dont try it with duck eggs. ducks need a higher humidity than chicken eggs. I hatched my ducks well with a humidity of 60% the first 25 days and 70% the last 3 days. they loose water easier than chicken eggs.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. I have great luck, (better than with high humidity), with dry incubation method. I keep my humidity low, about 35% and bump it up to around 65-70% the last 3 days. Honestly, this is the best way I have gotten my calls to hatch as well.​

I agree with ducky, mainly that last sentence. BUT since you completely disagree thunderwagn. Could you tell us just exactly how you bump it up the last 3 days.

Last 3 days I move my eggs out of my Dickey which is set at 35%RH, and into my Brinsea. I bump the humidity up at that point with the auto pump and fill the channels at bottom so pump doesn't have to run as much. I use this method with great success for all eggs.

I disagreed with the bold statement that dry incubation doesn't work with duck eggs. That is just the posters opinion.
In my opinion, dry incubation does work and in my case even works better. Its my opinion as well that all incubation doesn't have to be done at such high humidity levels all the time.

Thunder wagon I may be missing something here but how can you set your Dickey on 35% RH (How do you" set it' on 35% WITHOUTwater being used) I was always under the assumption that "dry incubating" was using the ambient temperture (With no water added).Then you say you change them over to a Brinsea (then you say water is definitely added). Sounds to me like there is nothing" dry" about it. If Im wrong here please tell me what Im missing. Plus its my opinion they do better at a higher humidity based on playing with this over many years. Mainly because I to didnt want to add water all the time.I would have loved to do dry incubation here where I live but alas It didnt work out that way for me or my friends around here. We HAVE to add water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom