Dry, scaly, puffy head. Advice?

PopoMyers

Free Ranging
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
Just adopted 4 chickens, less than an hour ago, this one is a Brahma. The skin on her head is dry, scaly and puffy. Noticed that her sister keeps pecking at her. They also seem to be molting, as she is missing some hackle feathers and sister's vent area has just pin feathers coming in. I don't see any mites/lice. Should I treat her with something? Or just wait and see if it will resolve? Otherwise seem normal. I was told these were hatched together, same time, and are now together (person has all kinds of poultry) to figure out pecking order, which will happen again when they're integrated with my other flock. Sorry about the wires. Just brought them home.
20220913_131805.jpg

Attachments

• 20220913_131636.jpg
    20220913_131636.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220913_131805.jpg
    20220913_131805.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 3
Just adopted 4 chickens, less than an hour ago, this one is a Brahma. The skin on her head is dry, scaly and puffy. Noticed that her sister keeps pecking at her. They also seem to be molting, as she is missing some hackle feathers and sister's vent area has just pin feathers coming in. I don't see any mites/lice. Should I treat her with something? Or just wait and see if it will resolve? Otherwise seem normal. I was told these were hatched together, same time, and are now together (person has all kinds of poultry) to figure out pecking order, which will happen again when they're integrated with my other flock. Sorry about the wires. Just brought them home.
What do the others look like?

Can you take them back?

Looks like she has a sunken eye with a few bubbles in it. Could be an indication of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma.
Crustiness on the face, hard to tell if it's dry skin, Favus or something else going on.

If you are determined to keep them. Quarantine for 30 days far away from your flock for observation.
Treat for worms, lice/mites and observe for any respiratory symptoms. Look in her ears for infection. Anti-fungal cream on the face and comb.

What do the others look like?

Can you take them back?

Looks like she has a sunken eye with a few bubbles in it. Could be an indication of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma.
Crustiness on the face, hard to tell if it's dry skin, Favus or something else going on.

If you are determined to keep them. Quarantine for 30 days far away from your flock for observation.
Treat for worms, lice/mites and observe for any respiratory symptoms. Look in her ears for infection. Anti-fungal cream on the face and comb.
The others look/act perfectly fine. I asked the keeper, and he said she was getting pecked. Can't return them, he's moving away. She doesn't seem to have any respiratory issues. Was acting normal, eating, scratching, chicken behaviors. What am I looking for in her ears? No pus or drainage, or smell that I noted, but will go get some ointment for her. What kind should I get for fungus? I have valbazen and lice/mite treatment. She will be easy to treat, being her temperament is pretty calm. Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately I don't have means to quarantine far away, but they are separated from them.

Last edited:
You would be looking for mites, debris or pus in the ears.
You can use an anti-fungal cream like Clotrimazole of the comb and facial tissue.
Valbazen is a good dewormer, I'd use that.

Hopefully all goes well for you.

Sorry, I forgot to update. No bugs on her. The skin condition was also down her neck, a bit red, and scaly. Her feet looked a bit rough too. Put together a natural salve using essential oils and coconut oil as a carrier. Glad to say that within a couple days, she improved, and by the end of about 2 weeks, her skin and feet looked good as new. As a brahma, she was also in the molting process, so more exposed skin than normal. The whole flock was wormed with Valbazen as a normal semi-annual prophylaxis.

Sorry, I forgot to update. No bugs on her. The skin condition was also down her neck, a bit red, and scaly. Her feet looked a bit rough too. Put together a natural salve using essential oils and coconut oil as a carrier. Glad to say that within a couple days, she improved, and by the end of about 2 weeks, her skin and feet looked good as new. As a brahma, she was also in the molting process, so more exposed skin than normal. The whole flock was wormed with Valbazen as a normal semi-annual prophylaxis.
Thank you for the update!
Glad things worked out for her:)

Back
Top Bottom