Duane Urch

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as laying, I got Australorps from Duane and they have been really good layers, even through the winter as 2 yrs olds. I also got a really nice rooster that was top SQ, and few hens that were really nice SQ, and all except one would be SQ, meaning no DQs. When you get chicks even from SQ parents, you will probably only get a few SQ. This is why a lot of show breeder will only sell adults, they want to select from their stock and cull the inferior ones themselves.

His Jersey Giants do get large, I have seen larger but his are still show quality. I would order a back up breed or two because 25 can be a tough order to fill sometimes. As far as birds not laying well it all comes down to breeds. Some breeds don't lay as well as others, the breeds I have from him Australorps, RIR, WCB Polish, Buff Brahmas bantams, Partridge Cochins, WFBS all lay well for me. His Dominques and Buckeyes lay extremely well also.

His Jersey Giants do get large, I have seen larger but his are still show quality. I would order a back up breed or two because 25 can be a tough order to fill sometimes. As far as birds not laying well it all comes down to breeds. Some breeds don't lay as well as others, the breeds I have from him Australorps, RIR, WCB Polish, Buff Brahmas bantams, Partridge Cochins, WFBS all lay well for me. His Dominques and Buckeyes lay extremely well also.
Well, I wanted all 25 red naked necks in the beginning but I called him and back and gave him backup breed of jersey giants, he didn't ask for a 3rd choice. Hope he doesn't call me and say "what's your 3rd breed of choice cause where're short of 25 for both breeds" cause I don't want other breeds. My plans were to only have 1 breed in the beginning then I pushed it to 2, but 3 is to much for me to handle cause I don't have that many coops.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Well, I wanted all 25 red naked necks in the beginning but I called him and back and gave him backup breed of jersey giants, he didn't ask for a 3rd choice. Hope he doesn't call me and say "what's your 3rd breed of choice cause where're short of 25 for both breeds" cause I don't want other breeds. My plans were to only have 1 breed in the beginning then I pushed it to 2, but 3 is to much for me to handle cause I don't have that many coops.
hu.gif
How much did he charge you for 25 and are they "Breeder quality" or is breeder quality assumed?

We have had chicks from several breeds from Duane Urch through our 4-H group. I would say that they are consistently birds that the judges are happy to see, even if they might not be the the top winners at the biggest shows. Any one chick might be a disappointment... but that is how breeding poultry can be. Even the most successful breeders keep and show only the best few individuals.

Mr. Urch has many breeds that are hard to find bred to the standard and he does a nice job with them; in some cases, he's been maintaining some really nice examples of some less popular varieties.

Nice, did you order from him? What breeds did you ask for?
Yes, I have read so much about the difference in quality that I decided to buy more chickens. I telephoned Mr. Urch and then followed the call up with the written note and check for $193
8 white Jersey Giant
6 Buckeye
6 Australorp
5 silver penciled Wyandotte
celebrate.gif

anyone in sw va want to go in on an order to save on the shipping? i want 25 chicks minimum possibly 50 but would need someone else to join me for the other 25 or 50. 8) that's the best savings per chick is shipping on 100. but hubby said he'd divorce me if i ordered 100 LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom