Duck acting strange - panting, tired? (I hope)

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
Blanche the 9 month old silver appleyard has been acting strange the last hour. That's just when i noticed. She had been normal up until at least least two - 3 hours ago latest- hunting bugs, eating peas, etc
She was under the deck acting strange, almost like a breathing issue lots of panting and head in the air. She didn't come to peas just stayed under porch. She doesn't have access to a pool because recovering from bumblefoot either about two weeks ago. Had access to water for drinking.
After a little bit she waddled out to the water bowl. I snagged her and brought her inside.
She is in the bathtub.
She is drinking a lot of water and ate just a few peas. No longer eating any peas but she did drink some of that water it has rooster booster for electrolytes. Now it looks like she is trying to sleep, i hope she isn't trying to die. I hope its just dehydration or stress
Her sister from the same Metzer order of silver appleyards was found dead last week, cause unknown.
Here is a video of her under the porch where i found her

Here is a video of her from just now

As of posting, there have been bits where she seems alert and ok
Other moments just looks very tired
Still drinking a lot of water
Id say she is looking and acting better. Don't want to be wrong and miss something though

Any and all help is appreciated

Could she have eaten something toxic or could she have had something caught in her throat with the breathing and drinking lots of water?
It's good you brought her in so you can keep a close eye on her.
can't think of anything toxic. but you brevet know. The other 3 ducks in the yard are fine
I will check her throat now see what i can tell

I just got back to the tub and she is acting much more normal; apparently ate some more peas and is now alert and quaking

Her throat feels/looks fine but I'm no expert there

It's also almost time for them to be put up for the night. Should i keep her inside tonight?
I'm hoping it was dehydration or if anything else, it has passed...I already have my big pekin here until the hardware cloth arrives so i can finish his pen

Back
Top Bottom