Duck Behavior questions...

I think that the head twitching vibrating behavior is associated with sexual behavior. It may be a prelude to mating. The wing twitching is just getting everything back into place. This feather here, that feather there sort of thing.

We have a 2 month old muscovy house pet we hatched ourselves. She is sweet as can be. Loves to be held; comes outside with us and stays close when we sit on the grass. If we get up and move away, she follows. When it's time to go back in the house, she happily follows along and in the door BUT she has one strange, seemingly irrational behavior: When she is in her crate and either of us comes near, she has a panic attack, running around the crate and trying to, or actually jumping out of the crate. I find if while she is running these circles, I can put my hand on her with just a little pressure, she will calm down. That is the main problem but there are two other small issues: She seems to be afraid of water. Other ducks we have raised have always had fun in the tub. The other behavior that is kind of weird, she is afraid of other ducks. When we are outside with her, if any of the local flock approaches, she becomes alarmed. Any ideas?

Hey all, I haven't posted in a few days. So I might as well make a new thread regarding a couple questions about my pet duck Sunny.

First, what does head/neck vibrating mean? Sunny will do it whenever someone she doesn't know touches her. She'll do it on occasion to me. Is it a dominance/pecking order related thing? Sometimes when I start petting her, she'll vibrate her head and almost "hold the anger in". She'll then find the closest person and will attempt to jump on them...? She does it more at places she doesn't go very often, she won't do it in my backyard. But she'll do it in my house or at the park.

Next is wing twitching. Sunny is my first duck, so I don't know if this is normal or not. She'll kind of move or twitch her wings. Sometimes she does it like mad, and other times she doesn't do it for days. Is it something to be concerned about? I've seen Nettie's duck doing it in one of her videos. Is it normal?
[/quot

Well I know about the wing twitching, it's usually to dry of their wings. Like if they are sitting in the sun then they like to do that. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom