Duck being very vocal suddenly

Dilpretzal

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
This is my first time posting so please excuse any errors.

I have two domestic ducks, they’re a mix of appleyard and campbell. Both are females and laying normally. Recently, one of my ducks (who has always been more vocal than the other one) has started quacking a very deep and loud quack. Although she has always been loud, it hasn’t ever been this deep and she only does it when I or someone else goes to the garden, otherwise, she is quite for the most part. Is this normal? I have had them for almost a year now and I’m wandering if it’s just associated with the changing season. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It could be a few things
When one goes broody they get a lot more vocal
It could also be her talking to you wanting treats
You could post a video of it and we can try to help
I don’t think she wants treats, they already get plenty of mealworms and a vast amount of mix veg and regular layers pellets.
I’ll try to get a video in the morning, I’m regards to her maybe being broody; is there a reason she will only quack like that when I’m around or when she sees someone? I can’t walk through the garden without her quacking very loudly and when I check on her she’s completely fine. Thanks

I don’t think she wants treats, they already get plenty of mealworms and a vast amount of mix veg and regular layers pellets.
I’ll try to get a video in the morning, I’m regards to her maybe being broody; is there a reason she will only quack like that when I’m around or when she sees someone? I can’t walk through the garden without her quacking very loudly and when I check on her she’s completely fine. Thanks
If she is going broody they do this
Even puff out a little
Have you been collecting eggs or could she have a nest started

My son has two female pekins, one little and very noisy duck and one larger duck who is largely silent. He also has a pekin drake who looks after his girls, acts as look out when they are feeding -- he always stands back and lets them eat first -- and is generally protective calling to keep them together in the back yard. Then the drake had to come and stay with my all drake flock while a female muscovy, who the drake would not accept, was integrated with the girls. The three females got on really well, eating, bathing and foraging together. The muscovy and the larger female often shared a nesting box. But the interesting aspect was that the larger pekin female took over the role of flock protector. And she developed a voice calling to the other two to keep them together in the back yard and warninf of danger -- birds flying high in the sky.

So my thinking @Dilpretzal is that your loud girl is the protector of the two and hence she is shouting loudly when you come round to warn the other that you are there. I don't think the behavior is anything to worry about!

I haven’t a broody in my flock or Runners and Buffs but boy are those girls vocal. They haven’t started back laying this year yet but they sure do have a lot to say. And don’t mind being loud about it either. I attribute it to hormones. And of course them girls do have a lot to say!

Of ours we definitely have some that are more vocal than others. From what I've noticed when they see us they will usually get louder. I just attribute it to they are saying hi, come see me, etc... We have a few that refuse to stay in their yard and now the ones that don't like going through the fence will see those and quack real loud. So it seems they are showing they are upset they are out there while they are still in. I don't know about the brooding as none of ours has seemed to try to, although we really don't give them a chance normally we grab the eggs soon as we let them out of their house everyday.

Back
Top Bottom