Duck Bullies

MarshyRooster

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
Today, I put two ducklings into the coop for the second time (they'd gotten cold last time and returned to the brooder). I was sure they'd be okay this time, because they're almost two-three months old now. But we went to check on them, and Jumbo was battered. Really muddy, and shivering. Some feathers on her head had been pulled off and I could see skin. Several on his back could be pulled out. Misty was battered too, although not as bad. Earlier, I'd noticed the older ducks (three of them) chasing the little guys away from the water, and biting them a bit, but it didn't look bad, and later they all looked peaceful. But who else would hurt the ducklings? Would the chickens? I'm very confused. Please tell me if you have any idea why there's so much bullying, and who's the bully, and why Jumbo is getting hurt worse than Misty! (My dad didn't want to put a screen up last time, and since this happened, next time we're doing it.)

The older ducks are also biting and chasing the hens, but they don't seem to be getting picked on as bad as that poor duckling.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks. Today one of the ducks also attacked one of our older hens, so we're considering seperating him altogether. And when the ducklings go back to the coop, we're going to put up mesh (seperate groups). Would the agressive duck be okay without the others?

Back
Top Bottom