Duck dewclaw injury- treatment?

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
So bad things happen in threes, and I'm hoping this is the last bad thing for a while because compared to the two duck deaths in two days it's minor. But still needs attention. Not sure what, if anything special, to do.

So while upgrading the outer defenses of my pens i hear a loud crash as a deer slams into my gate and knocks it pretty well. As soon as the deer got up and took off the 4 ducks in that yard (the dry yard where one duck was mandated to be for its post bumble surgery) immediately shot through it and into the pond. Of course, in her shoes she couldn't swim well and it was rather sad (slightly humorous) to watch
That is until she was struggling to get out and injured her dewclaw. Here is a picture, not great, but during her soak it fell off completely.
There was some blood, but it was only the nail portion. The actual digit is fine

I put some gauze over the digit just for the night with some ointment and epsom salt gel so it clots and closes up.
Will this heal on its own?
Should i continue to wrap it or let it just be free?
That foot doesn't necessarily need a shoe but i think it helps their gait to have both feet in shoes if one must be. But i can just put a bandaid over the slight bumble being treated on that foot

Thanks for any and all help as always

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_215043.jpg
    IMG_20230922_215043.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 36
i would use the antibacterial ointment and guaze then vet wrap but not too tightly around foot and including dew claw and can you keep her in a room inside somewhere for a couple days? Just to prevent any infection

Last edited:
i would use the antibacterial ointment and guaze then vet wrap but not too tightly around foot and including dew claw and can you keep her in a room inside somewhere for a couple days? Just to prevent any infection
I can keep her inside a kennel inside only real option at the moment
Since last week she had bumblefoot surgery I have also built a secondary pen inside my yard by the house with some shade so she can still be outside but has no access to water other than a drinker. She doesn't love it but it keeps her out of trouble i will keep her there a few days.
And will make sure she's eating/drinking/ acting normal

Back
Top Bottom