Duck Egg Candling Photo Diary

Can anyone tell me if this egg is infertile or if that smaller red circle is the germinal disc?

Hi, I am trying to look for an answer to what is appearing in the air sac of my duck eeg, it is day 8. Also after trying the water test, the egg was standing slanted, as a day 8 egg should do, the black spot moved away from the air sac. Trying to get some
answers on if it is live or dead. Thank you

Hi, I'm hatching my first clutch of Rouen Mallards, but I'm not sure if the most developed egg is healthy, he/she is still moving around when I candle but the only way I can tell is by watching the veins. Is the development so far normal? Should be on day 23 but I'm not entirely sure since I lost the first group it was in and I didn't know how long it took mallards to hatch when I put the eggs in.

This was also the first time taking pics so quality isn't the best. I candle every two-three days and currently have eight other eggs in along with Buff Orpington and an Orp/Maran cross that is looking to be a double yoker, my next question is if that cross egg is a double yoker can they both survive the hatching process? What are the rates for "twins"? The egg is bigger than a duck egg so could they have room to grow without interfering with each other?

I am new to this form, but I have 3 ducks, 1 pekin and 2 Aylesbury. One of the Aylesbury's is a male, and the pekin is female. The pekin has been laying eggs for about a year now, but this is the first time she actually starting to sit on them. My question is:do just leave them alone and let her hatch them herself. Not for sure if the Drake actually hooked with her because he actually fights her. All three hang together at night, but unless it's feeding time or she wants to get in the pool, then he becomes aggressive and I have to go out and break up the fight.

You could probably just let her sit on them for a week and candle after dark. Toss any eggs that don't look fertile. I personally tried to let a broody hens hatch out two different broods but I lost so many eggs because of other hens laying in the same boxes, they just couldn't be talked into leaving the broodies alone. I pulled the eggs and only 7 hatched out of 20. I got better results from my incubator so I prefer to just incubate myself. It's really up to you and your schedule. Hope this helps.

You could probably just let her sit on them for a week and candle after dark. Toss any eggs that don't look fertile. I personally tried to let a broody hens hatch out two different broods but I lost so many eggs because of other hens laying in the same boxes, they just couldn't be talked into leaving the broodies alone. I pulled the eggs and only 7 hatched out of 20. I got better results from my incubator so I prefer to just incubate myself. It's really up to you and your schedule. Hope this helps.

Thank you YellowDuckK. Your info was helpful. She is still sitting on them, saw where she knocked one out of the nest, but I put it back. I will have to invest in a candleine to see what's happening.

Thank you YellowDuckK. Your info was helpful. She is still sitting on them, saw where she knocked one out of the nest, but I put it back. I will have to invest in a candleine to see what's happening.
You can just candle with a flashlight and either your fingers wrapped around the end of it to trap light against the egg, or if the size is right a bit of paper towel core tubing can help. Nothing super fancy. The 'candling flashlight' that came 'free' with my incubator is a pocket sized LED flashlight with a special plastic collar on it. works great! the darker eggs are more challenging to see into...

How did the duck eggs turn out? I put 5 in an incubator, had to toss one and two other look a little off to me. I'm hoping at least two hatch because if I only have one I will love it too much to let it be just a duck.

Back
Top Bottom