Duck egg is on day 31 and still alive!

tennesseeckn

Real or not real?
10 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Knoxville Area
A friend gave my son a fertile duck egg that we put in the bator. She hadn't had any luck hatching them and I wasn't too optimistic, even though I had 100% in my last batch. Last month everyone hatched right on time, so I'm pretty certain temp and humidity readings are accurate.

So, today is day 31 and still no pip. For the last two days I have opened the bator with the intention of chucking the dud. I candled out of curiosity and both time there was movement!! When it went into lock down I thought it didn't look solid enough, but it sure does tonight!

Anyone else have a duck egg take that long? Is this going to be a special needs duck that I'm going to have to nurse through the next month? This was my first duck egg. Oh, they told me it was a Khaki Campbell x Pekin, whatever those are...

It would make more sense if it were a muscovy or muscovy x egg. I know they take longer then other duck eggs to hatch, but can't remember how long. Glad to hear it's still kicking!
fl.gif

I have a friend here in Kansas who I gave some duck eggs to. They are now on about day 30 and he has been running his temps in the 90S . I set some duck eggs under a hen and they are on day 20 and now pipping. I think hatching temp is important. I think that growth of the chick and energy absorption need to be on a roll to give that chick enough strength and energy to break that shell. I may be wrong.

Muscovy ducks are the "odd-ball" of the duck breeds in that their eggs take 35 days to hatch whereas all other duck breeds take 28 days. No harm in just leaving the egg alone to see what happens as long as it doesn't start leaking foulness ( or is it fowlness?)

31 days for those breeds is starting to get a little too long. Unlike a lot of poultry, ducks can vary tremendously in incubation time (the Mallard derived breeds). Our bantam ducks typically hatch at 26 days and our Runners typically hatch at 30 days. All of other breeds, including the ones you mentioned, tend to hatch on day 28, sometimes day 29. We have had Runners on occasion go 31 days, but never Campbells. I would think either your temperature has been slightly off or something is wrong with the duckling.

Hmmm...

I just asked my friend if there was a muscovy in their duck pen. She didn't think so, but was going t ask her 11-year-old, since they are his. Would a half-muscovy hatch this late?

Something COULD have caused my temperatures to be off since my last hatch, but I suspect there's something else going on.

So, if you were me and you found out there was no muscovy in the pen, would you intervene? Just leave it?

I'm pretty sure yanking it out and candling it every night is not helping the situation. I am about to candle again...

If I were you, I would ask on the duck board. I can't really answer that because I don't breed Muscovies or Muscovy-hybrids. I know several people on the duck board do though. They would be better able to tell you what to expect if it is a hybrid. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom