Duck Egg Pipping Early

Mbetha

Hatching
May 2, 2023
I am a teacher incubating ducks in the classroom. We are on day 22 so I didn't plan on locking down the incubator for 2-3 days, but today I have one that has pipped and another that appears close. I took the turner out and added some water to bring the moisture up to hatching range. Will is hurt the rest of the eggs to stop turning them now?

Welcome to BYC! It shouldn't hurt when they're this close. Your temps were likely too high during the first stages of incubation and it's causing a quick hatch. If you have a calibrated thermometer/hygrometer, put it inside the incubator and make sure the temperature is at 99.5F and humidity at 65-75%. Did you candle them before you set them on the hatching tray to see if any others were internally pipped? This can be a good benchmark for the next few days when determining whether or not to assist.

I did! I saw at least 3 that look like they are in the process of internally pipping. When would I need to consider assisting?

I did! I saw at least 3 that look like they are in the process of internally pipping. When would I need to consider assisting?
Only if it's been 24 hours after internal pipping and they haven't externally pipped or progressed anymore, at which point you can make a small safety hole about the size of the tip of a screw. This article explains everything very nicely: Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

Back
Top Bottom