Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
So my Pekin female, Daphne, has been laying eggs consistently for a couple of weeks now. Only once did I fail to find an egg... until yesterday and today. I didn't turn the coop completely inside out but I searched all her nesting spots. Its possible im missing it but I've found them every other time.
When they stop laying for the winter is this something they do all at once or do they become sporadic? The weather here in Central Texas is either quite warm or chilly but nothing to indicate "winter is here stop laying"

The timing is interesting as well because my other two females, a Cayuga (Lilith) and a silver Appleyard (Roz) paid these two last night, their first eggs
20221130_090013.jpg

The black egg, obviously the Cayuga, is normal size. The little white one is like a smaller golf ball. Is it possible that the SA saw the Cayuga laying and decided to start as well even though she wasn't completely ready? They are the exact same age since I got both from Metzer. Would they stop laying soon as well if it (eventually) gets cooler and winter-ish or could they just continue laying?
I guess I'll have to start giving them oyster shells as well
Any and all thoughts are appreciated

Some eggs, especially in younger ducks, come out smaller and are called fairy eggs. Completely normal! If it starts to get cooler and the days are shortening, chances are you're not going to get many or any eggs at all during the winter months. They might continue to lay, but most take a break. Giving them breaks from laying ( Especially if you have drakes ) is good for them and lets them heal from being tired and possibly over-mated from any males around. Giving them an artificial light or heated source, giving them their egg shells or oyster shells, and making sure they're living a comfortable life can help them want to lay more eggs. When they molt, ( This happens in spring and fall ) they also stop laying eggs for a few days-weeks. :)

A duck normally lays a nest full of eggs. Then, she sits on them and incubates them. I think when we take them (which I do and they are yummy) it triggers them to keep laying but mine often take a day or two or three off in between what would have been the amount of eggs that would have filled a nest. I suspect that is what yours is doing and you will find an egg tomorrow. My youngest layer keeps doing that and I keep thinking she has stopped for the winter. I now think that both she and your girls will lay all winter.

Some eggs, especially in younger ducks, come out smaller and are called fairy eggs. Completely normal! If it starts to get cooler and the days are shortening, chances are you're not going to get many or any eggs at all during the winter months. They might continue to lay, but most take a break. Giving them breaks from laying ( Especially if you have drakes ) is good for them and lets them heal from being tired and possibly over-mated from any males around. Giving them an artificial light or heated source, giving them their egg shells or oyster shells, and making sure they're living a comfortable life can help them want to lay more eggs. When they molt, ( This happens in spring and fall ) they also stop laying eggs for a few days-weeks. :)
Gotcha
Ya i need to figure out their lighting and heat for this central Texas winter which may be pretty chilly at times
For lighting I just use a few small solar powered lights I charge daily. Nothing much but just enough that they can see at night. I don't wish to force her to lay by two much lighting if she wants to take a break.
And heat wise just a their coops with a bunch of pine shavings; if I need to add supplemental heat I will

A duck normally lays a nest full of eggs. Then, she sits on them and incubates them. I think when we take them (which I do and they are yummy) it triggers them to keep laying but mine often take a day or two or three off in between what would have been the amount of eggs that would have filled a nest. I suspect that is what yours is doing and you will find an egg tomorrow. My youngest layer keeps doing that and I keep thinking she has stopped for the winter. I now think that both she and your girls will lay all winter.
Ah interesting. Yes I'm curious to see what happens I can't believe they laid their first eggs on the same day... unless i missed an egg at some point but don't think so
I know the pekin is unlikely to sit but I think the cayuga/silver Appleyard may; could be worth it to see if they want to sit on them

Ah interesting. Yes I'm curious to see what happens I can't believe they laid their first eggs on the same day... unless i missed an egg at some point but don't think so
I know the pekin is unlikely to sit but I think the cayuga/silver Appleyard may; could be worth it to see if they want to sit on them
I wouldn’t let them sit yet. Unless your drake is older, the eggs most likely aren’t fertile. And, if they are, do you really want ducklings in the middle of winter? Also, the eggs will get bigger over time which should result in healthier ducklings.

You were right about the Pekin there was an egg this morning.
The Cayuga left an egg as well
Didn't find another Silver Appleyard egg but since the one I found yesterday was a little fairy egg im not sure she was ready. I will do some further digging this afternoon on case I missed it

If your Cayuga and SA are young and just started laying for the first time, they will probably keep laying all winter long (just this time, not next winter). For your Pekin, I would expect that too but maybe since she started a little earlier, she’ll take a short winter break. I wouldn’t worry about it unless she is acting like she’s sick.

No heat is necessary.
Artificial light to extend the length of the day for a few hours is only necessary if you are trying to force your ducks to lay more eggs into the winter than they otherwise would. So, you could do that next winter if you want. But this winter they’re young and just started laying so I don’t think there’s any point in adding artificial light because they’re already laying. Also adding lighting all night long is not necessary.
Hope this helps! I recommend getting the Holderread book if you’re new to ducks.

If your Cayuga and SA are young and just started laying for the first time, they will probably keep laying all winter long (just this time, not next winter). For your Pekin, I would expect that too but maybe since she started a little earlier, she’ll take a short winter break. I wouldn’t worry about it unless she is acting like she’s sick.

No heat is necessary.
Artificial light to extend the length of the day for a few hours is only necessary if you are trying to force your ducks to lay more eggs into the winter than they otherwise would. So, you could do that next winter if you want. But this winter they’re young and just started laying so I don’t think there’s any point in adding artificial light because they’re already laying. Also adding lighting all night long is not necessary.
Hope this helps! I recommend getting the Holderread book if you’re new to ducks.
This helps a ton thank you
I'll be getting that book as well
On the light at night, they are just weak solar powered lights in the pen, but outside their coop, so they can see their water bucket(s) and food and the very short little ramp they have to go up to the coop. All at very dim mainly just to give them a little help since their pen is in the trees by the pond it gets very dark. Hoping that's not something that would affect her laying habits

Back
Top Bottom