Duck egg size

alaskan husky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014

This is the size of my Peking egg for the past two days. Not sure what made it that big....:)

If it is the beginning or the ending of the laying season or if it is her first couple of eggs or so, it is not unusual for the eggs to be larger, smaller or misshapen until she gets adjusted to laying.

Last edited:
She laid about 2 dozen since her first egg. Not sure what trigger it to be so large. Same feed, same green except these past two days the temperature is in the 40 in iowa. Is that a factor?

One of my ducks laid lots of big eggs in the first few months of laying. They were all double yolkers inside. My chickens would also do it when they were younger - sometimes if they got a bit stressed I think - I would often find a double yolker egg a day or so after we had a storm.

probably stress from weather change. One day winter storm with 4 inches snow then two days later in the 40. I am even stress myself.
tongue.png

We also had a ice melt incident recently that caused life of two of my dear hens. I found double yolks chicken eggs before but not the duck. This is the first time. I hope she is alright.

Mine had the opposite reaction - seventh egg laid today and was much smaller than yesterday's. Weather went from moderate to snowing!!!

Back
Top Bottom