duck eggs: dead or alive

Just be patient and let Mother Nature do her thing. The little duckling knows what he's doing and it may take him a while to get out. Remember, he works for a bit and rests for a bit... The humidity is sooooo important! If it gets too low, the membrane will be too tough for it to get out. Even opening it briefly can make you lose precious humidity. When I hatched out my black and copper marans (I'm a newby too) a few weeks ago, I didn't sleep all weekend and I was a nervous wreck! It sounds like you're doing everything right. Keep us posted!
lol.png

You can open the bator to add water. I just open mine slightly and pour water in as quickly as I can.

What kind of duck is it? I've hatched calls and rouens and the calls were always more sensitive to humidity. I always had to keep a couple wet towels in the bator for extra moisture, but the rouens only needed the water cells filled.

I usually mist the last couple days too, just one or two sprays from a bottle, but never more than that. That seemed to help the ducklings zip their shells faster.
Some people don't mist though, so that's up to you!

Good luck with your baby!! I hope it all goes well!!

Don't know if I ever want to hatch eggs again. I think they're both dead now. We'll wait and see, but I feel pretty emotionally done with this process.
he.gif

Hopefully they are still alive and resting.... they are silent when at rest - hoping for a positive outcome for you!!!

Back
Top Bottom