Duck Eggs From a Parking Lot!

keatonskeets

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
As you may have heard, the Nashville area has been a disaster. Several have been killed, and thousands of homes have permanantly damaged or destroyed.

After being out of town, I had no idea that THIS had happened. I couldn't even access my home due to closed roads. They said that the roads would be open in about half an hour, so I pulled up in the nearest parking lot to admire the water. Among the debris, one object caught my eye, a large, olive-tinted egg. Wow! this must have been from sombody's coop, I thought. Then another appeared. And another. And another. Now I'm holding four of these suckers! What could they be? Have they been incubated? How long have they been here? I HAD to candle them.

I didn't do much research, but I think that they might be mallards. I was POSITIVE that they were incubated, but the embryos were motionless. I thought the cold water might have killed them, but I had nothing to lose, so I threw them in the bator with the guineas. And 24 hours later, all four are squirming in their shells. I'm absolutely amazed that they're all alive! But, I still don't know how old they are, and I need to when the lockdown date for these eggs is. Could anyone give me an estimate on the approximate age of these eggs?

I have never hatched eggs. The guineas were supposed to be my first hatch, but it looks like they might be my second now.

38198_img_6466.jpg

38198_img_6461.jpg

My camera does not take very good pictures. Here is about what the veins look like....

38198_duck_egg_rep.jpg

Last edited:
Those don't have long at all. I would say with in the week. And that is really awesome that these eggs have a second chance because of you. (I would have done the same thing, maybe they was just ment for you). I will be following this link.

I would also say a week. I would start lock down in about 2 days. BTW you may have to contact your local fish and wildlife, because you are taking in wild duck's eggs. You are normally not allowed to, but they are giving free permits in cases like this. You are also not allowed to keep them unless they stay on their own will. My local FW office told me they don't bother with permits unless the wild duck is over 6 months old. They say they grow and fly off anyway. But this is something they have locally decided. My wild mallard duck stayed until fall and then took off with the wild birds. We kept our contact with her to a minimum, because we did not wanted her to get used to human handling. She still followed us around, but no touching at all. No junk food either.
Also make sure you are getting feed with 16% protein and not more. This is to prevent a condition called Angel Wings. It deforms their wings to the point that they never fly. Not a good thing. Also stay away from medicated feed.
Good luck,
Katharina

I cared for 2 wild Mallards about 20 years ago. They stayed all summer and then around beginning of september went to the neighbors pond. In a few days the wild mallards showed up and when they left about a week later my two went with them. They never got "tame" more like tolerated me because I brought food but could never be held.

first of all, how is your home and your family??? I hope no real problems to deal with. Second, Great job with the saving of the eggs and good luck. I would put them in a pen when hatched and keep them if you want to, regardless to what anyone says. you saved thier lives.

Thank you everyone for your input. The power went out last night, and I had to move the "duck" eggs along with the guinea eggs under a silkie hen. The silkie was already sitting on a dozen, so when I put 22 more under her there was no way she could sit on them all. In a desperate attempt to save the eggs, I plopped one of my barred rocks on the nest with the silkie, and surprisingly, she stayed! I'm soooo glad. Now that the powers back on, I'll probably put them back in the bator after I give it a good wash.
When they do hatch, I think that they'll stay. I already have 3 mallards living in the coop right now. They have unlimited access to a nice natural creek in my backyard and are free to take off if they want to. No matter what the new ones decide, It'll be fun hatching and rearing them.

Back
Top Bottom