Duck Eggs hatching - how long should it take?

TeePants

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Hi, our duck eggs went into lockdown on Wednesday. They started externally pipping that night at around 6pm, but there wasn't a visible hole until the next morning. It's been 48 hours since they started pipping and this is how much progress they've made.

I'm starting to get concerned as it's been two days now since they began externally pipping and these holes are all the progress they've made. They're still peeping at us and wriggling around, probably more so than they were before.

Should I just continue to leave them be? At what point should we consider intervening?

let them be unless you dont see movement anymore. It can take a bit to fully zip - sometimes 2 days from the 1st sign of an external pip. Watch your humidity so they dont get shrink wrapped would be the biggest piece of advice. Intervention isnt for the weak and takes a load of time and patience to do it successfully. If you havent given them enough time to absorb the yolk sac they will have issues and that alone can take 24 hrs. They look like they are just hours from fully hatching so just keep an eye on them.

They've gotten pretty well through in that picture and it should be fairly easy to tell if they're starting to dry out.

When I hatched ducks the first to pip hatched second to last about 3 days later.

Okay! I was just getting worried because it's been two days since they started, but they seem to be okay at the moment. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom