Duck Eggs in Lockdown - Any Tips for Hatching and Brooding?

[/QUOTE]
I like to use a baking pan under a baking rack and put the feeder and water on top, this way and mess they make just goes trough the hole. Be sure that their feet cant get stuck trough them. Also they're soooo cute!
1588893829792.png 1588893864345.png

Update: we have 11 happy, healthy little ducklings running around. It was very hot outside yesterday, so they got a field trip to the orchard. They are so much easier to manage than chicks! They stick together in a flock and stay close to their humans, instead of scattering under the shrubbery.

One little duck started to unzip at 6am, and by 7pm hadn't made any progress, but had been calling out sporadically for 13 hours. My daughter thought I should intervene, so I did. The duckling was ready, the membrane looked right, but it just couldn't fully hatch. I removed half the shell, carefully, and let the baby push itself out. It quickly became clear that something was wrong with the little one. The head struggled to stay up, and it couldn't balance to stand or walk. I snuggled it a lot, and gave it some vitamins, in case it was a deficiency causing this.

The good news - by morning, the duckling is upright, walking, eating, drinking, just like its buddies! So glad for all the helpful info on this site.

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_E0144.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 4
One more question, please! It's Day 30, and there are two eggs still in the incubator. No rocking, no peeping, no pips. Should I do a water-candling test? Just leave them? For how long?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Back
Top Bottom