duck eggs starting to hatch what next !!!!! ducks sharing a nest

someguyhere

Chirping
Sep 6, 2016
so we have 2 females that started laying this year and for the past month been sitting on eggs. they are sharing the nest. they literally sit on top of each other never moving unless to go eat real fast. well today I went to look at everything not expecting much and to my surprise the shells on 3 of them are starting to crack open and you can see a little movement.
these 2 females are in a pen with 2 other younger females about 5-6 months old. do we need to seperate the yonger ducks ? will they try to kill them ? we had to seperate our drake because it would try to kill the younger ones but now Im afraid the younger ones will attack the new babies or will all the females be fine together? Id like the mothers to hatch them if at all possible as my last attempt at incubating eggs didnt end so good so Id rather the mothers do it. they are very protive of their nest and Id hate to scoop them away especially with my incubator track record lol.
any advice would be great ! Im assuming Ive got maybe 24 hrs ????

Last edited:
nope no need to separate them from the mother unless you see her attacking them.once the babys get a little bigger you can put them in a fenced in area with there mothers and a small shallow water bowl to swim in.put the 5 6 month olds out of the cage they might attack.

ok awesome thank you for the quick reply. I dint think it would be a problem with the mothers. they actually didnt like the newer ones when we first got them but they came around and very much obssed with thier eggs so I figured they would be safe. Ill seperate the juviniles from the 2 broody ones and let them have their own space :)

Last edited:
ok awesome thank you for the quick reply. I dint think it would be a problem with the mothers. they actually didnt like the newer ones when we first got them but they came around and very much obssed with thier so I figured they would be safe. Ill seperate the juviniles from the 2 broody ones and let them have their own space :)
Great glad I could help.Let me know if something happens or if you have any questions.Keep me updated

I will thank you for the advice we are hoping for the best Im running out of places to separate ducks lol these females have been so cute and working so hard together Id hate to have keep them all apart

During the day they sit together and then at night the runner scoots into the nest a little deeper and the bigger buff will lay half on top of her and start to cover the runner duck with straw Im guessing to block the wind and keep them all warm. I just took the picture this morning and was hoping they would hop up so I can see the progress but they were not even interested in food or water this morning. the wait is killing us hahaha
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2055.JPG

I will thank you for the advice we are hoping for the best Im running out of places to separate ducks lol these females have been so cute and working so hard together Id hate to have keep them all apart

You would not need to separate for ever....Just long enough for the Ducklings to imprint to that one Hen and her to her clutch....Then all will be fine...

Back
Top Bottom