Duck eggs under bantam hen! Ideas??

silkieluv23

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 20, 2013
I put 2 call duck eggs under one of my little bantam hens. Has anyone done this before?
jumpy.gif

WE HAVE HATCH!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif
1 DUCKLING AND 2 CHICKS!!! There is no sign of life from the other duck egg but the duckling that did hatch is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it's this hens first time so I think she'll be ok, I'm going to put some hen eggs under her aswell!
roll.png

One my mine hatched and brooded my Muscovies for me. She didn't seem to mind they looked different. However after 4 weeks they were twice her size and she was done!

Both being banties would be an advantage but definitely watch for rejection! as well according to what i have read.. 2 ducks eggs is the recommended for a bantie hen.

my cochin hens went insane broody last summer and i used pekin eggs just to let them have satisfaction. only did 2 eggs under then hens, but they took them with no issues. treated them like their own.

Last edited:
She has 2 hen eggs as well now, IF it does work out it will be very cute!!

Well the only issue I can see now is her rejecting them before they hatch. Why well chickens take 21 days duck take longer, so since it's her first time, what may happen is as soon as those chickens hatch, shell think those duck eggs are duds and stop sitting on them.

Back
Top Bottom