addylanich

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2023
Southwestern Ohio
I have a Khaki Campbell and last week I noticed a swelling on the top of her foot. I grabbed her and brought her inside yesterday thinking it is bumblefoot. I will attach a picture. The first is the spot where I noticed swelling on the top of her foot and the second are a few spots on her other foot. I currently have another duck with bumblefoot but the cases don't look the same. I am treating her foot with an Epsom salt soak every other day and unmedicated Neosporin, iodine, and heal Xcel poultry spray daily. Any ideas on what it might be and/or suggestions on how to treat it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230213_203440.jpg
    IMG_20230213_203440.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230213_203424.jpg
    IMG_20230213_203424.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 5
I have a Khaki Campbell and last week I noticed a swelling on the top of her foot. I grabbed her and brought her inside yesterday thinking it is bumblefoot. I will attach a picture. The first is the spot where I noticed swelling on the top of her foot and the second are a few spots on her other foot. I currently have another duck with bumblefoot but the cases don't look the same. I am treating her foot with an Epsom salt soak every other day and unmedicated Neosporin, iodine, and heal Xcel poultry spray daily. Any ideas on what it might be and/or suggestions on how to treat it would be much appreciated.
I agree, I think this looks like bumble. I would suggest doing the soaks and treatments daily if you can. And ensure her living conditions are as clean as realistically possible.
The smaller one looks like it may be able to clear up with the soaks etc, that's how it was for my girlie when she had it in the early stages. The larger one looks as though it may need to be emptied. But that's just my opinion, miss Lydia is the expert.
@Miss Lydia

It maybe a bumble or an injury could she have broken her toe? I agree with soaking and using a topical antibiotic. Wrapping will help keep whatever you are using on. There is also a drawing salve [TSC] if it's an injury the soaking will still help with swelling. my Runner female had a bumble that didn't have a scab swelling was top and bottom. I ended up taking her to the vet she was on antibiotics and meloxicam after 7 days I use a scalpel to open it and pop out the bumble. Here is what my girls bumble looked like.
IMG_2286.jpeg

I agree, I think this looks like bumble. I would suggest doing the soaks and treatments daily if you can. And ensure her living conditions are as clean as realistically possible.
The smaller one looks like it may be able to clear up with the soaks etc, that's how it was for my girlie when she had it in the early stages. The larger one looks as though it may need to be emptied. But that's just my opinion, miss Lydia is the expert.
@Miss Lydia
Thank you for your help. Do you have suggestions on how I should empty it?

It maybe a bumble or an injury could she have broken her toe? I agree with soaking and using a topical antibiotic. Wrapping will help keep whatever you are using on. There is also a drawing salve [TSC] if it's an injury the soaking will still help with swelling. my Runner female had a bumble that didn't have a scab swelling was top and bottom. I ended up taking her to the vet she was on antibiotics and meloxicam after 7 days I use a scalpel to open it and pop out the bumble. Here is what my girls bumble looked like. View attachment 3404778
Thanks for your help. There is a possibility she could have broken her toe. I did order duck shoes but they won't be here until the end of the week.

My Belle has a beginning bumble. I started work as soon as I saw the first limping.
I dug out the top scab. Then soaked in warm water with ACV & epsom salt 15 mins.
Then made another small poke & squeezed out the pus.
I made a foot pad from a can cooler. It's neoprene. I'm using colloidal silver gel on that place it directly on the sore.
Also cleaning with providone/iodine. Giving her a dose of colloidal silver to boot.
We are on day 3 & she is walking better.
After a while with these sweet babies, you get fearless.
I'm also grateful to the sage duck owners on BYC...Like Miss Lydia.

Back
Top Bottom