Duck going to hatch babies

Birdmama2020

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Hi there, I am looking to have my duck hatch a nest of eggs. It is my first time with this and I am looking for some help/ideas on what I can do to help mama and or what I should be doing.
She is a khaki campbell, just over a year old. She has 12 eggs in her nest so far but isn't yet sitting on the nest that iv noticed except at night.
Should I be separating my drake from her now? Just at night? During day also? Should I be feeding her something extra etc..
Thank you

No need to separate them yet.
As for going broody, that is a hormone thing and a lot of breeds have just about had it bred out of them. So it's really a wait and see thing she may not ever go any further than sitting on them overnight to going full on broody. But in their little bird brains, they know when they have the right amount of eggs to sit to get started.
I hope your duck starts sitting soon so you can have some little ducklings running around nothing more precious than watching mama and ducklings out together.

No need to separate them yet.
As for going broody, that is a hormone thing and a lot of breeds have just about had it bred out of them. So it's really a wait and see thing she may not ever go any further than sitting on them overnight to going full on broody. But in their little bird brains, they know when they have the right amount of eggs to sit to get started.
I hope your duck starts sitting soon so you can have some little ducklings running around nothing more precious than watching mama and ducklings out together.
Thank you for your reply. Still waiting..hoping she gets with the program soon lol

Back
Top Bottom