Duck Hatching Deaths

possumblossum

Songster
11 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Blount Co., TN
Good Morning.
For the second year in a row, I have began duck hatching season with an inordinate number of deaths. Ducklings started pipping yesterday afternoon, so I expected to find a tray full of babies this morning. Instead I found 12 eggs with open pip holes, but 10 dead ducklings. I pulled the two who were still alive, but they are very weak. Last year was the first season for most of my mothers, so I thought the problem might have been egg size...that the ducklings were so large comparative to the eggs that they couldn't maneuver to finish hatching. That isn't the case this year.

I've pulled all the eggs out of the hatching tray and placed them in a tote under a heat lamp. As soon as I see pipping, I'll intervene, but that doesn't explain the problem. These are all Black and Blue Swedish ducks. They are 100% free range with no commercial supplements. I dropped the humidity to 40% for the last 3 days of the hatch, and there is no fluid around the pip hole, so they aren't drowning. All the holes are on the large end of the egg, and the heads are appropriately tucked under the right wing, so it isn't misalignment. Has anyone else experienced this or have insight has to why they're struggling past the initial breakthrough?

Respectfully,
Walnut Hollow Farms

They roam with our goats over 25 acres of red/white clover, alfalfa, and mixed nut trees. My laying rate is about 87% right now...25 hens producing 22 eggs/day and sll my breeders are between 7 and 10 pounds, so it isn't a nutritional deficiency. If anything, their diet is creating an egg shell that's too thick to bust through.

Membrane was white, but it looks like I found my answer. When we first started setting eggs through 4-H, we were told to reduce the humidity from 60% to 40% for the last three days to ensure the air pocket was big enough that the chick/poults didn't aspirate fluid. That's what we did for the first 5 years without issue in our chickens and turkeys. Last year (2019) we added ducks. I haven't had this problem with the other species, but it sounds like I've just been very fortunate.

Thank you all for the responses. That's why I appreciate these forums so much!!

So if you hatch again take a picture of the aircells before lock down and we can help you judge the best humidity for the situation

Egg shell quality, elevation, and the natural humidity of your home can all affect your aircells in different wayy

When folks say to run 40% and 60% during lockdown that is just the simplest of setting to get most people set up and hatching

My own home here I can almost run the incubator with no added humidity and lockdown at 50% and be fine. But my natural humidity is 40%, in the summer I can run the incubator dry start to finish because my house is almost 65% humidity

Membrane was white, but it looks like I found my answer. When we first started setting eggs through 4-H, we were told to reduce the humidity from 60% to 40% for the last three days to ensure the air pocket was big enough that the chick/poults didn't aspirate fluid. That's what we did for the first 5 years without issue in our chickens and turkeys. Last year (2019) we added ducks. I haven't had this problem with the other species, but it sounds like I've just been very fortunate.

Thank you all for the responses. That's why I appreciate these forums so much!!
I'm so sorry this happened. I believe you tried your best but now you know and I'm sure it will be better next time. There are a lot of thread on here about hatching and a lot of experts too so please don't hesitate to ask for help and no question is stupid!

Back
Top Bottom