Duck having trouble breathing

Motherhenner

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
Sorry. I know this is a chicken forum but I figured some of you might know about ducks. Link at the bottom is video of her symptoms

She is 1.5 years old and weighs about 4 lbs. She first started exhibiting “gasping” symptoms a couple days ago but very intermittently. Tonight she is much worse and has been gasping for about 2 hours. She has clear diarrhea, runny eyes, shaking her head, and did not eat at her usual dinner time tonight.

She has two other female ducks she lives with that don’t have any of the same symptoms. Her bedding is a mix of straw and shavings which we change about once a week (they are only in there at night, not during the day). She free ranges during the day and has a small pond and access to clean water.

I immediately gave her some warm VetRX directly in her throat and a couple drops in water for her. I also brought her into the bathroom after letting the shower run to see if the steam would help her breathing. Don’t know what else to do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Oh my, I'm so sorry. I'm just seeing this now. I'm afraid I don't know enough about duck issues to comment.

Is she still the same?

Yes but she’s still alive so I’m glad for that. Gave her a dewormer incase it’s gape worm. Have a feeling it’s a fungal infection. I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow so hopefully we’ll get some answers

Yes but she’s still alive so I’m glad for that. Gave her a dewormer incase it’s gape worm. Have a feeling it’s a fungal infection. I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow so hopefully we’ll get some answers

How’s your duck, did the vet know what was wrong with her?

My duck is doing the same thing. If you happen to see this and are able to share what happened with your duck, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom