Duck having trouble breathing

eryonie

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2023
I have a duck that seems to be having trouble breathing. She looks like she is quacking silently and with her whole body. This is non stop all day long (started yesterday). She is not eating, drinking or laying. I have Tylan powder to give her in case it is a respiratory infection, but do not know how much to give her. Since she is not drinking I cant just put it in her water, but would have to mix with water and syringe it down her throat. Anyone know If I should give it to her and if so how many mL and how many times a day?

I have a duck that seems to be having trouble breathing. She looks like she is quacking silently and with her whole body. This is non stop all day long (started yesterday). She is not eating, drinking or laying. I have Tylan powder to give her in case it is a respiratory infection, but do not know how much to give her. Since she is not drinking I cant just put it in her water, but would have to mix with water and syringe it down her throat. Anyone know If I should give it to her and if so how many mL and how many times a day?
Does she have water she can swim in?
My ducks 'pant' sometimes when it's really warm out.

So shes panting?
When did she last lay? Can you get a picture of her?

Attachments

• 1270EA99-CA48-49DC-8502-C48EE83D50C1.jpeg
    1270EA99-CA48-49DC-8502-C48EE83D50C1.jpeg
    707.5 KB · Views: 20
She did not lay yesterday or today. I did soak her in a warm epsom salt bath for 20min this morning in case she was eggbound.

She did not lay yesterday or today. I did soak her in a warm epsom salt bath for 20min this morning in case she was eggbound.
It doesn't need to be epsom salts, but sometimes a warm soak can help with egg binding. I'd still like to rule that out, as baths aren't a guaranteed cure for it, it mainly just helps them to feel more comfortable.

What is the temp like? If you're sure she isn't too warm, could you check her nares and throat, see if there's anything stuck that could be interfering with her breathing?

Is she holding her tail down? Or pumping it up and down?
What feed does she eat and does she have access to oyster shells?
She is pumping her tail up and down. She eats a feed from a local mill that I ferment and add brewers yeast to. She does have access to oyster shells.

It doesn't need to be epsom salts, but sometimes a warm soak can help with egg binding. I'd still like to rule that out, as baths aren't a guaranteed cure for it, it mainly just helps them to feel more comfortable.

What is the temp like? If you're sure she isn't too warm, could you check her nares and throat, see if there's anything stuck that could be interfering with her breathing?
No, its not hot today. I don’t believe she is over heated. I checked her nares and throat yesterday and everything seemed fine.

Back
Top Bottom