Duck having trouble breathing

She is pumping her tail up and down. She eats a feed from a local mill that I ferment and add brewers yeast to. She does have access to oyster shells.
I'd treat for egg binding to be on the safe side. Tail up and down and panting can be signs.
Is she limping or lying down a lot, too?

To treat for egg binding, she'll need a dose of calcium, calcium gluconate liquid, by the brand duvert, available at tractor supply. It says injectable, but give 1 ml orally over a treat.
Or calcium citrate with vit D. These pills are available in pharmacies, health stores or online. 600mg is the dose, it would either need to be crushed over a treat, mixed with eater and syringed or put down the throat in pill form.
Here is a diagram of where the pill or liquid would need to go:
(Be very careful, as its easy to make them choke).
medicating-a-duck-where-to-put.jpg

You could give her another supervised slightly warm bath in a dim room, which would also help her to relax if she does have an egg stuck.

Is there anything else the matter with her?
If she isnt overheated, has nothing blocking her breathing, then its probably either respiratory, or pain related. Does her vent look okay? Is there any heat or swelling of her legs?

If this is a respiratory issue, I'm not knowledgeable in treatments, I'm only familiar with VetRX.
Is there any discharge around her nares? How do her poops look?

I'd treat for egg binding to be on the safe side. Tail up and down and panting can be signs.

To treat for egg binding, she'll need a dose of calcium, calcium gluconate liquid, by the brand duvert, available at tractor supply. It says injectable, but give 1 ml orally over a treat.
Or calcium citrate with vit D. These pills are available in pharmacies, health stores or online. 600mg is the dose, it would either need to be crushed over a treat, mixed with eater and syringed or put down the throat in pill form.
View attachment 3527778

You could give her another supervised slightly warm bath in a dim room, which would also help her to relax if she does have an egg stuck.

If she isnt overheated, has nothing blocking her breathing, then its probably either respiratory, or pain related. Does her vent look okay? Is there any heat or swelling of her legs?

If this is a respiratory issue, I'm not knowledgeable in treatments, I'm only familiar with VetRX.

View attachment 3527778

Thank you so much. I will be giving the calcium gluconate tonight. Crossing my fingers egg binding is the problem and I can get it solved asap!

Back
Top Bottom