Duck help

If you have never eaten duck eggs, try some before you get any females. If I would have done that I would have gotten all drakes instead of ducks. No one in my family likes the eggs, the smell of them cooking makes me gag and my daughter wasn't impressed with the baking results. Now we have a lot of eggs that are getting thrown out.

I noticed a different smell when cooking (scrambling) the duck eggs. I'm not crazy about it but they taste pretty much the same to us. That could be because when we cook with them we do about 1/2 and 1/2 duck and chicken eggs.

If you really want eggs I wouldn't worry too much about flock dynamics. It's all theorycrafting at this point. The males may fight or they may not. As long as you're open to rehoming (or cooking them) if you have to.

If you have never eaten duck eggs, try some before you get any females. If I would have done that I would have gotten all drakes instead of ducks. No one in my family likes the eggs, the smell of them cooking makes me gag and my daughter wasn't impressed with the baking results. Now we have a lot of eggs that are getting thrown out.
No dogs wildpeas? mine love steamed duck eggs

The eggs gave her the runs.

That's too bad. I love baking with them too and when I mix them in with chicken eggs for scrambling they are good to me anyways.
smile.png

THe problem with rehoming drakes is that it is very difficult. Most of the time they end up dinner if you manage to find them a place to go. Occasionally you might get lucky and find someone who wants a drake if they have a few hens, but drakes are so plentiful that that is rare. Sorry to sound so negative, but unfortunately, it is really true. I wish I had a solution for you, but it is going to be hard to put one of them somewhere that will just want him for a pet.
If you keep them as pets and want duck eggs, next spring when mine start laying again, I will give you plenty. I live in Hollis Me and we don't eat the eggs, I give them all away. You are welcome to them. My father lives in Kennebunk and I could meet you there to get them. I see him weekly. So, there are solutions if you want duck eggs and want to keep your boys.

Thank you veronicasmom, that's very kind. I was looking for something different. I think that in the spring i will add a couple more drakes and have a batchelors retirement club lol. But since your so close, i may hit you up sometime on the eggs and more help :)

Thank you veronicasmom, that's very kind. I was looking for something different. I think that in the spring i will add a couple more drakes and have a batchelors retirement club lol. But since your so close, i may hit you up sometime on the eggs and more help :)

What a wonderful way to have a nice flock of boys and still get eggs. Might look at rescue's some do have ducks for adoption.

I'm not a fan of the strong yolk of duck eggs. So when I cook breakfast with just duck eggs, I do about 1 yolk to every 3 eggs. That I can do.

Back
Top Bottom