duck injured, in shock??

duckduckgose

Songster
Sep 18, 2018
hi all
my duck meat-ball was attacked by what i presume to have been a cat in the late evening today.
the injures consist of 3 puncture wounds on the back of her neck and another smaller puncture wound on her left cheek, her beak is quite warm to the touch and the feathers on her head and neck are really fluffed up is this normal?
meat-ball is also wheezing a little when she breathes though this could just be dust in her nostrils as she is not opening her mouth to breath or gasping at all.
i have cleaned her wounds with clean water and have applied a loose bandage to her neck to stop her from scratching and absorb any blood.
she can still walk though she stumbles a lot i am wondering weather this is due to shock?
meat-ball is currently being housed in a box wrapped in a blanket in the shed (i cant keep her in side because of my dogs)

Since you suspect it was a cat that attacked her, I strongly recommend antibiotics as soon as possible as their bites can cause bacterial infections with Pasteurella multocida that can spread within the tissues or into the blood stream. When a cat bites, its sharp canine teeth easily puncture the skin, leaving small, but deep, wounds in the skin. These punctures rapidly seal over, trapping bacteria from the cat's mouth under the skin of the bite victim, where they can easily multiply. An infected cat bite wound will be red, swollen, and painful, and the infection can spread through the surrounding tissues, causing a condition called cellulitis, or through the blood to other areas of the body, causing a condition called septicemia (often called blood poisoning). Infection usually sets in within 24-48 hours, and ducks suffer a high morbidity rate from this type of infection.
A number of sulphonamides, such as sulphamethazine, sulphamerazine, sulphaquinoxaline and sulphathoxypyridazine have been shown to be effective when administered in the feed or water. In addition, a number of antibiotics when given intramuscularly have been shown to give good results. These include chlortetracycline, oxytetracycline, chloramphenicol and penicillin. Erythromycin in the water and both oxytetracycline and chlortetracycline in the feed have also been seen to be effective.
Ask the store where you buy your duck medicines (or your veterinarian) about dosage and duration.

Back
Top Bottom