Duck is limping, no visible wound

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
Thursday night I noticed my 4 month old silver Appleyard duck was limping, but only slightly. There was no visible wound, no bumblefoot-type lump or anything. Last night it was worse to the point where she was standing on one leg to keep the pressure off. This morning I kept her confined in the pen and checked her again and I still don't see anything. Nothing appears swollen either. What are the chances that it's sprained or fractured? And how should I treat it?

I think that you have done the best thing. We have had several ducks over the years that develop a limp. After a few days of TLC, they are fine.

You might want to put a friend in the pen to avoid lonliness and stress.

Whew...thanks! She appears to be resting comfortably on a pile of fresh straw I put down for her right by the side of the pen. One of the drakes is sitting "with" her from the other side.
love.gif

I had one that had a limp a few weeks ago. I got the same advice so I just left her alone and monitored. She worked it out on her own in about a weeks time.

I'm so glad that the search function works so well.
My new runner has been favouring one leg today and walking with a limp. (Actually, she's been waddling like a duck which is rare for a runner.)

I remembered that I had a duck with a sore leg once and after I had rested him for a couple of days he was fine. I'd already decided to do that with this girl, putting a friend in with her so she doesn't get lonely.

This post has confirmed my plan. Thanks.

I totally forgot about this thread! Hope your runner gets well soon! Here's an update on mine: a couple weeks ago she was limping so bad that she could barely walk. Convinced it was bumble foot, I was prepared to operate. DBF talked me out of it and suggested I take her to the vet. They saw her right away and I am SO glad I listened! It wasn't bumble foot at all - she had the equivalent of "water on the knee". Her middle toe was all swollen and filled with fluid. The vet removed the water with a needle/syringe and put her on oral anti-inflammatory medication. It was much easier to give her medicine than I thought it would be and within a few days of treatment she was just fine. No limping at all and the swelling is gone!
love.gif

I've just come across the same problem with my runner, her hubby recently died from a heart infection (that was horrible as he died while the vets were trying to operate on him), and she has now got 11 ducklings she has to chase after on her own. They are typically free ranging, but based on this thread I may have to confine them somewhat in order to reducer her need for movement.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom