Duck labored breathing

Thank you so much! It makes perfect sense.

I originally did the math thinking of the mix, and it wasn't until I mixed it that I thought of the concentration. But I was running late so I gave her the weaker dose just to give her something.

I just adjusted to the proper one, and this was really helpful!! Thank you so much. She's back to labored breathing, so I'm praying she'll be better by tomorrow.🙏🏻💕
So glad it was helpful. I hope this helps get her back to normal.

So glad it was helpful. I hope this helps get her back to normal.
Hi again !!

Today is day 5 of the doxy and she is finally started improving!

I have a feeling she did not ingest enough medicine the first couple of days. I was using a syringe and made sure to avoid the glottis but she always seemed to "hold" some and then cough some up as soon as I was done.

It wasn't until Sunday night that I tried a different way, with a skinner and smaller syringe (barely enough to dilute) that she's held it down.

I know doxy is supposed to be done for 3 -5 days, but between her coughing some up and the fact that she JUST started showing improvement, I'm afraid to stop!! Just today she's getting back to drinking and eating more.

@Quatie have you ever done doxy for 7 days?

Anyone else has experience?

Hi again !!

Today is day 5 of the doxy and she is finally started improving!

I have a feeling she did not ingest enough medicine the first couple of days. I was using a syringe and made sure to avoid the glottis but she always seemed to "hold" some and then cough some up as soon as I was done.

It wasn't until Sunday night that I tried a different way, with a skinner and smaller syringe (barely enough to dilute) that she's held it down.

I know doxy is supposed to be done for 3 -5 days, but between her coughing some up and the fact that she JUST started showing improvement, I'm afraid to stop!! Just today she's getting back to drinking and eating more.

@Quatie have you ever done doxy for 7 days?

Anyone else has experience?
If you want to go a couple more days it should be ok. I would definitely give probiotics with it, which I believe you are doing already. I have done a day longer on a few drugs on accident. But a couple days more shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I am glad to hear she is starting to do better!

If you want to go a couple more days it should be ok. I would definitely give probiotics with it, which I believe you are doing already. I have done a day longer on a few drugs on accident. But a couple days more shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I am glad to hear she is starting to do better!
I have been trying to give the probiotics but she doesn't really drink it. I was trying to give some on the syringe but I think that contributed to the choking so I haven't been pushing it as much. It's available right next to the water, I've even put cut up grapes on it but she hasn't touched much of it.

This mixture was the electrolytes with the probiotics. I'll try changing it to just probiotics since she's startlng to drink more again.

Thanks for the input! 😊

I have been trying to give the probiotics but she doesn't really drink it. I was trying to give some on the syringe but I think that contributed to the choking so I haven't been pushing it as much. It's available right next to the water, I've even put cut up grapes on it but she hasn't touched much of it.

This mixture was the electrolytes with the probiotics. I'll try changing it to just probiotics since she's startlng to drink more again.

Thanks for the input! 😊
The syringes you do have to make sure you get them deep enough into their mouth, back into their throat. So it wont back flow. It can be a bit tricky sometimes with none cooperative ducks.

The syringes you do have to make sure you get them deep enough into their mouth, back into their throat. So it wont back flow. It can be a bit tricky sometimes with none cooperative ducks.
Yeah, it's not an easy job. I had them low (past the glottis) but they were bigger syringes (3ml, 5ml...) so I think that didn't help. Now with 1ml it's easier to go down more. Hopefully this will keep working!! I'll go 2 more days 🤞🏻🤞🏻

@Belrose how is your duck doing?
Hi @Quatie ! Thanks for asking, and sorry for taking a little bit to get back to you... it's been a day!

She's not worse, but she's not much better. The labored breathing improved, although she still has sporadic episodes. But mostly I'm still worried because she's still not drinking or eating a lot. She's actually eating more than she's drinking. Giving her a bath doesn't seem to help much either... she hasn't been dunking a head a lot. She seems to be picky with the water, although she's been slowly increasing the intake.

I don't know if you'd know this but I am now worried about sour crop. I don't know much about it, but I've been noticing that when she stands, her crop has been low. And just now I noticed it seemed particularly low / full. She has not eaten enough today / recently for it to look like that, and as far as I know hasn't had acc to anything that could be obstructing.

For history- because of the bumblefoot she'd been doing foot soaks with tricide neo for weeks (epsom salts, iodine, even surgery were attempted before and had not worked). Then from the tricide neo she started the labored breathing and we switched to Baytril for 5 days, then Doxy for 7 days. All back to back. The last 2 days are the first time in a while that she hasn't had an antibiotic. Even though I've been offering probiotics in her water, I guess it's possible she has an yeast infection.

I'm attaching a picture of how she was standing just now (she's been inside the house and separated). Any thoughts?? Does her crop look big / low?

Attachments

• 20220827_224128.jpg
    20220827_224128.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom