Duck Laying Soft Eggs No Matter What I've Changed

marxrab

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all,

Here is my problem. I have six ducks: one male and five females. Three ladies and my male are Black Swedish, one female is Pekin, and one female is Khaki Campbell. All of my girls are laying eggs fine except for my Khaki Campbell. It's been three months now that I've gotten only soft eggs. From what others say I figured she needed more calcium so I tried that. I've read all the forums and tried changing her diet. I separated her out at feeding time to make sure she was getting enough oyster shell thinking the bigger ducks might be hogging all the food. I switched food brands three times. Right now I'm on a some expensive feed that has oyster shell mixed into it to see if it helps.

I've been hatching fertile eggs right now and ended up getting two that look like Black Swedish/Khaki Campbell mixes so I know she laid one shelled egg a month ago and another 2 weeks ago from the age of the ducklings. Both ducklings look like Black Swedish but have brown on their chest and are super small so I assume they are Khaki Campbell mixes. I have no idea if I did something around that time that helped because she was also giving me soft eggs .

She eats great. She drinks great. She's very active and I see her swimming and jumping up on this tall walled raised bed all the time. We live on a mountain and she sometimes scales a steep part to graze while free-ranging so she seems healthy and spunky.

One thing I noticed recently is sometimes she just has to lay down. Like her tail goes low and she opens her wings and kind of looks like she's forced to lay down. She lays her soft eggs around 6:00 PM everyday and this is around the time I see this happen. Not sure if this is normal laying behavior since the others lay inside their house and I never see them lay. I assumed the first time she was ready to lay an egg or was sick. I picked her up and carried her to her house and put her in the nest inside. After several minutes no egg but she was running around like normal, went swimming in the pool, and had dinner with the rest of the ducks. Once I put the ducks up for the night I found a soft egg in their pond. I'd say 80% of her eggs I find in the pond after 6:00 PM. The rest I find in the front yard in the spot where my ducks all hang out in the last hour before I put them up at night.

From some forums I've heard it could be a gland problem that is sometimes unfixable? I don't know. Since I got a few fertile, normal eggs recently maybe there is something else I can try? I don't know what to do. I feel like I've read everything and tried so many different tactics. We don't have any vets nearby that take ducks and it's a 3 hour drive to another state to the nearest one which we can't do since that's a six hour drive for one day plus we're in quarantine from the Covid-19.

Does anyone have advice?

:welcome

I would imagine It'd take quite a toll on her to be laying softies every night, for her, I might suggest starting her on a calcium supplement like calcium gluconate or calcium citrate. @DuckyDonna Has lots of experience dealing with this so she may be able to help you from here. Best of luck with your duck!

I have the same problem with one of my ducks. She lays a soft shelled egg in the afternoon. Once in a blue moon, I'll find a soft shelled egg in her duck house...already smashed. I have tried giving her calcium citrate pills, but they haven't helped.. She is healthy otherwise but sometimes, I can tell she needs a lot of concentration to lay that soft-shelled egg and forgoes her usually foraging and eating with her buddies.

I have the same problem with one of my ducks. She lays a soft shelled egg in the afternoon. Once in a blue moon, I'll find a soft shelled egg in her duck house...already smashed. I have tried giving her calcium citrate pills, but they haven't helped.. She is healthy otherwise but sometimes, I can tell she needs a lot of concentration to lay that soft-shelled egg and forgoes her usually foraging and eating with her buddies.

I haven't tried calcium citrate but now I have something to look into. My duck typically lays her eggs in water. It's her routine when I call the ducks to come to their pen for dinner for her to go to their nearby small pond and lay an egg in the water. I don't think she's having any trouble doing it. Maybe the cold water helps.

:welcome

I would imagine It'd take quite a toll on her to be laying softies every night, for her, I might suggest starting her on a calcium supplement like calcium gluconate or calcium citrate. @DuckyDonna Has lots of experience dealing with this so she may be able to help you from here. Best of luck with your duck!

Thank you. I"ll look into calcium gluconate or calcium citrate. I don't know anything about either but I haven't tried them so it might be worth getting some.

sorry, I got busy unloading a trailer full of mulch and just now saw this.

It doesn't seem like she's egg bound as much as it's a soft egg issue. But it also seems like she gets uncomfortable because of it. You could try giving her 1 ml of calcium gluconate and see if that helps her lay. I believe it acts more like Pitocin that is given women to start contractions. I don't know if it helps with the soft-shelled eggs though.

When I get soft-shelled eggs I use calcium citrate. I found the pills at walmart so I have to crush them up and put the crushed pills right on top of the oyster shells in their little container.

Maybe try both but start with the calcium gluconate to see if that makes her more comfortable and then add the calcium citrate maybe to treats that only she will get. If you've got a coffee bean grinder it works well with those pills.

sorry, I got busy unloading a trailer full of mulch and just now saw this.

It doesn't seem like she's egg bound as much as it's a soft egg issue. But it also seems like she gets uncomfortable because of it. You could try giving her 1 ml of calcium gluconate and see if that helps her lay. I believe it acts more like Pitocin that is given women to start contractions. I don't know if it helps with the soft-shelled eggs though.

When I get soft-shelled eggs I use calcium citrate. I found the pills at walmart so I have to crush them up and put the crushed pills right on top of the oyster shells in their little container.

Maybe try both but start with the calcium gluconate to see if that makes her more comfortable and then add the calcium citrate maybe to treats that only she will get. If you've got a coffee bean grinder it works well with those pills.

Is the picture what you buy at Walmart? That's what pops up when I do a search. Also can you recommend a calcium gluconate brand? I see a lot of different bottles pop up on google shopping. Also, should I separate her out when I feed the calcium citrate or is it okay for me to just put it in the group feed? I am using a feed right now with the oyster shell crushed and mixed into the pellets.

Thank you so much for the reply. It really is so helpful to have so new things I could look up and research in helping my little friend. I'll give both methods a try as soon as I can get some.

Attachments

• f5f221b8-eb88-4b5f-8625-00e0254cbf24_1.27d0f15b167126deb7e3f0f7198f33d3.jpeg
    f5f221b8-eb88-4b5f-8625-00e0254cbf24_1.27d0f15b167126deb7e3f0f7198f33d3.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom