Duck Leg Injury

Hallelujah!

ya.gif

I have an injured 3 week old runner- I have no idea what happened.. I have 5 3-week olds and the mama, along with 2 8-week olds and an adult drake.. i noticed he/she was limping and just mostly sitting as the others foraged around the pen after being in the yard all day... one foot looks kind of twisted.. the middle and outer "toes" looked crooked... just went and got some epsom salt, niacin and brewers yeast... will try those tonight. I have her/him separtaed and in my bathtub tonight and maybe for a few days... anythiung else I can do??

Thanks for any help...

Tom Smith

Glad you are starting right away with treatment.

I always try to remember to remind - Epsom salt is a laxative, use it only externally.

If it happened really quickly, it may be an injury. You might find something here for ideas.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

If it is something that has been more slow developing, the extra B vitamins can start making a difference within days.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
If there isn't a reputable bird vet in your area, try asking the other vets which practice works with injured wild ducks.

One of my babies decided to jump out of a box I was holding at shoulder height and sprained a leg at almost 1 week old.

I have 3 bird vets in my area but not even my bird owning friends recommended going to any of them. I called a farm vet practice and he referred me to the small animal practice that accepts all of the wild duck injury cases. Sure enough, he was more than happy to help with my domestic duck and also gave me some good practical advise for duck housing & ponds & protecting them from wild predators.

He advised that I encourage my duckling to swim in water water to exercise the leg. It helped her stay strong enough to keep up with her flock mates.

Back
Top Bottom