Duck Mama is confused and weak!! :(

AthenasOwl

Songster
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Olympia, Washington
First time duck mama (plus, my first time with a broody duck!) She has only been on the nest for about a week, and she was not on her nest for most of the day. We thought, she may have gotten attacked, because she wasn't there for some time. We took the eggs and put them under a very broody hen, because we couldn't find her...UNTIL, we went to go on our routine walk. She was down our driveway! No wounds, or missing feathers...

I went to get her and I noticed that she was weak, and unsteady. My guess, is she is low in Nicene, because she was nesting. She is a Cayuga duck. I DID have Poly vi sol, on hand, but can't find it everywhere. So, we did provide a bath for her (because I knew she was thirsty, and it would be a way to calm her down). I offered oats, and spinach from the start in the bath. So, I am sitting here, Sunday night, and don't know what else I can do for her...Can I add Poultry cell to her water, and would that help at all? I also combined water to Brewer's yeast and put in a syringe to get it into her that way (about 3 cc of this mixture). I also sprinkled the yeast onto all her foods, gave her, her regular feed, and also provided old fashioned oats for her.

I know that I don't post often here, it was because I was on facbook, but as I am no longer on that platform, I have no one to ask for advice.

Can you post a picture?Keep her in a warm quiet area for now.I would give her Poultry cell orally via syringe or eye dropper its better than putting it in there water since it may decrease her water consumption. Don't give her any more spinach as it can decrease calcium intake.Also carefully look over her for any signs of cuts/bruises or blood it can be hard to see injuries under all those feathers.

Back
Top Bottom