Duck Nests

RemsLittleFarm

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2015
We've had Muscovey ducks over the past couple years and this year one decided to have a nest in the middle of my barn aisle. I just let her be and watched. It's a first time I've ever seen the nest making, egg laying, hen sitting, etc. If I calculated right - she should have hatched out last week. Two days ago I found an egg, with a baby duckling (dried) in my horses stall. It was breezy so I'm figuring it blew in there. That morning I seen part of an egg - in the aisle a bit up from nest but didn't think anything of it.

Regardless, I picked the stall - tossed it into the manure pile and moved on. Well this morning I did chores - and my barn REEKS! Like rotten eggs. I had an incubation go bad, so I know that it is rotten eggs I am smelling....but what am I supposed to do?

She doesn't leave her nest. She has a food and water bowl and is sitting 24/7. I know ducks are smart - but I am not sure if she is sitting on all bad eggs, or just one...I just know it smells. Any advice?

Get her outside close the door and look at those eggs. Even if there is on viable egg in there if any of the rest are rotten and explode that one would more than likely be a goner too with all that bacteria going everywhere. If there are all bad get rid of them destroy the nest and try to keep her out or place something really big over where she was nesting to discourage her from going back she'll eventually get over it.

Miss Lydia - I honestly don't know if I can get her out - she attacks anybody who walks close to her. I can feed and water her but that's about it. If I can, I'll definitely have to keep something very large in the aisle - as she can easily get in. My chickens destroyed two of my other duck nests - and they got over it quickly - but this one is a different story...if I can just get her to stand up, I'll at least know what I have going on.

I got her to move and snapped a picture. I dont want to do the flashlight candling until I have help.

Do these look rotten? I'm guessing yes...but never seen them before.

Attachments

• 20180425_164529.jpg
    20180425_164529.jpg
    986.8 KB · Views: 12
CJana, thanks, that was my thoughts too...I need my husband home to help me candle them as she just moved right back after snapping the picture.

Back
Top Bottom