Duck not laying eggs.... bizzare!

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
So, here's my Cayuga, laid one beautiful tasty egg about two weeks ago, and since then nothing!
barnie.gif

I built her a "nest" from a tote, and she goes inside there, she even carried some feathers and straw inside there, but no eggs.
I am checking around in the shavings where she sleeps, but there is no hidden eggs.

Is it normal for a 6.5 month old duck to lay one egg and then stop?

Unless she is laying in the water? She spends all day in a small pond.

If she isn't in a confined area those eggs could be ANYWHERE. Mine female never layed in any of the nest areas I made for her, I stopped doing that since it was a waste of my time. They can lay them in the water or hide them very well out of site. If there is any bush, vine, anything she can get under or crawl into check in places like that. She is probably laying a lot more then you are finding. Expecialy since she is a new layer they will change there laying spots until they find one they really like.

One good thing about having ducks is you get to have an Easter egg hunt everyday.
lol.png

She may either have a hidden nest or she may be dropping them in the pond. If you can, keep her enclosed till late morning. Once she gets seriously restless and complaining let her out and watch where she goes. She may lead you right to her nest.

Back
Top Bottom