duck not laying eggs

The Duck Dad

Songster
Nov 7, 2020
Oconomowoc Wisconsin
Hi, so I have a hen wood duck and I have had her for two years now. She didn't even think about making a nest the first year, but I thought I would just wait till this year. Well, the wild wood ducklings are already hatching!!! I have a security camera in my wild duck boxes, and they are jumping out of the box as I am typing! Ok back to my duck Peter, she made a nest this year and really seemed like she was gonna lay. her um, well, "butt bone" got wide for an egg to come through, but nothing happened. She seemed a bit disappointed that her nest didn't work so I gave her a chicken egg from the grocery store to sit on. She sat on it for a while, and while she was sitting I ordered 2 mallard ducklings for her. I took her out to her pond for a swim and snuck the ducklings in her nest while she was swimming. When I took her back though, she saw the ducklings and was TERRIFIED of them. Well, after about 2 weeks she is getting to like them as friends, not kids. So back to the main point, does she need to be fertilized by a male to lay eggs?

Hi, so I have a hen wood duck and I have had her for two years now. She didn't even think about making a nest the first year, but I thought I would just wait till this year. Well, the wild wood ducklings are already hatching!!! I have a security camera in my wild duck boxes, and they are jumping out of the box as I am typing! Ok back to my duck Peter, she made a nest this year and really seemed like she was gonna lay. her um, well, "butt bone" got wide for an egg to come through, but nothing happened. She seemed a bit disappointed that her nest didn't work so I gave her a chicken egg from the grocery store to sit on. She sat on it for a while, and while she was sitting I ordered 2 mallard ducklings for her. I took her out to her pond for a swim and snuck the ducklings in her nest while she was swimming. When I took her back though, she saw the ducklings and was TERRIFIED of them. Well, after about 2 weeks she is getting to like them as friends, not kids. So back to the main point, does she need to be fertilized by a male to lay eggs?
I don't know anything about woodducks. But I suppose they don't need a male to start laying eggs but they do need one to have offspring.
This is your bump to the top :)

Back
Top Bottom