Duck not walking!

invisibledoctor

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
We have two 7 month old Pekins (both girls) but one of them has stopped walking. Everything fine this morning when she was released from the coop but since about midday she's been sat on the ground. She occasionally tries to get up and walk, but sort of drags her bottom across the ground. She laid an egg this morning and usually doesn't for another 48 hours so I'm not sure she's eggbound. Eating and drinking absolutely fine and wanting cuddles but very much struggling to stand. Anyone got any ideas?

Have you checked the bottom of their feet for bumblefoot? What are your pekins fed? Do they receive niacin supplements? Pekins need extra niacin. If that's been neglected in their diet the best way to get them up to speed is to give them liquid vitamin B complex ASAP.

We feed them Versele and Laga Duck three with a corn mix and garden vegetables. Would a niacin deficiency come on so quickly? I can't see anything obvious on her feet or any injuries.

We feed them Versele and Laga Duck three with a corn mix and garden vegetables. Would a niacin deficiency come on so quickly? I can't see anything obvious on her feet or any injuries.
Yes niacin deficiency can start from day 1 and Pekins are very prone to it. I looked up your feed brand and it does not even appear to contain niacin? If that is the case I would highly recommend switching to a duck feed that does. Niacin is crucial to a ducks development. Also feeding more then 10% of the total diet with corn or vegetables will take away too many nutrients that the feed is providing. I'm assuming that you are in the UK? I'm not sure what you have available for poultry supplements with niacin, but your duck needs to be given some form of niacin. If you do not have poultry supplements with niacin (not flush free) human grade capsules will work. If you use the human grade capsules I would recommend wetting a small amount of feed into mash, opening a capsule and mixing it in.

Last edited:
Totally agree on switching food and making sure you get something that has niacin or adding it yourself, plus you can add brewer's yeast for good measure. The liquid vitamin B complex is a good rescue med to help quickly bring up her levels, along with making sure they get niacin.

Yes niacin deficiency can start from day 1 and Pekins are very prone to it. I looked up your feed brand and it does not even appear to contain niacin? If that is the case I would highly recommend switching to a duck feed that does. Niacin is crucial to a ducks development. Also feeding more then 10% of the total diet with corn or vegetables will take away too many nutrients that the feed is providing. I'm assuming that you are in the UK? I'm not sure what you have available for poultry supplements with niacin, but your duck needs to be given some form of niacin. If you do not have poultry supplements with niacin (flush free) human grade capsules will work. If you use the human grade capsules I would recommend wetting a small amount of feed into mash, opening a capsule and mixing it in.
I second this, but I think its flush effect, not flush free, which is best?

Yes niacin deficiency comes on quickly as it is a water soluble vitamin that the body cannot store. My son has pekin females that are laying -- he was feeding them organic layer pellets designed for chickens, in the belief that adult pekins don't need extra niacin. One of his girls got confused overnight and could not find her way out of the coop -- not even following the others that periodically came to get her in response to her frantic calls. I started them all on brewer's yeast and within 5 days she was back to normal. My son then failed to repurchase brewer's yeast and within a couple of weeks that little duck was confused again. I now buy the brewer's yeast and make sure they all get it everyday!!

problems with gait -- incoordination of the legs, falling, aand being unable to walk are common symptoms of niacin deficiency. Other neurological issues [such as confusion!] occur too.

Others have given you advice on providing niacin now -- both urgently in the form of VIt B liquid or capsules. But you also need to start your pekins on Brewer's yeast [check the lable to make sure the brand you buy contains Niacin/Vit B3] and feed your ducks 1 tablspoon brewers yeast sprinkled on each cupful of duck food. They will need this for life!

Back
Top Bottom