Duck off feet

KathrynAB

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
Hi, I hope someone can help. One of my call ducks seemed to have strained one of her legs 2 weeks ago. I brought her in and popped her in the dog cage. I let her swim in the bath morning and night for about 30 mins each time and after 3/4 days she was put back outside and able to run around with the others. It happened again about a week later and I was blaming my drakes although I never saw them at her. Again I brought her in this time with her sister for company and 3 or 4 days later I put her back out again. 48 hrs she was back in! Swimming in the bath and using the leg but not weight bearing and hopping on one leg. Eating and drinking and going to the toilet fine. This time she wasn’t starting to use the leg after a few days so I drove 1hr and 10 mins to the nearest farm vet. She checked her all over and didn’t think it was broken/ dislocated as she was swimming with it and scratching her head with it. So decided muscular. Gave me some anti inflammatories and advised to put her in the cat basket to limit movement but still ok to pop in the bath for a swim. 2 days later she can’t stand on either leg!!! If I put her in the bath she swims! Eating and drinking and pooping! But cannot get up! Help I don’t know what to do! 😫 should I keep her separated?

What feed is she on? Have you given her any B3/Niacin? If both legs stopped working and she was previously having troubles with the one I would lean towards a niacin deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom