Duck opening mouth and body heaving

I'm pretty sure that it's Aspergillosis, as they constantly root in the mulch, and I've read that mulch and compost carry a massive amount of spores. She's now out on the pond with the others, so I'll monitor her.
I have one duck that has this
Took 5 months the first round to figure it out over 3000 in vet bills
We finally got fungal meds ( 250.00 a month ) after 90 days of those meds she was good from may till now
For the last 3 weeks she has it again
This time we didn’t need to go through all the testing
My vet found a new med that zoos use on their birds that was only 34.00 for 8 weeks worth ( much cheaper !)
I clean her vent daily with a colloidal silver spray mixed with iodine
Then a rub monistat cream on her
She gets 1/4 pill crushed with 3 ml of water given in 2 doses per day of 1.5 each
I also add AVC with mother to the drinking water that’s close to the feed so I know she gets some ( this doesn’t hurt the other ducks )
Stay away from sweet treats like fruits as it feeds fungal
I have not separated her from the flock
None of my other birds get it
But this one is just more prone to it for some reason
It’s environmental so kinda hard for me to pin down where it’s coming from
This is the prescription I got for dasher
I picked it up at the regular pharmacy

Attachments

• BED7E14F-E8A1-4B8E-B893-89802CE69660.jpeg
    BED7E14F-E8A1-4B8E-B893-89802CE69660.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 7
I have one duck that has this
Took 5 months the first round to figure it out over 3000 in vet bills
We finally got fungal meds ( 250.00 a month ) after 90 days of those meds she was good from may till now
For the last 3 weeks she has it again
This time we didn’t need to go through all the testing
My vet found a new med that zoos use on their birds that was only 34.00 for 8 weeks worth ( much cheaper !)
I clean her vent daily with a colloidal silver spray mixed with iodine
Then a rub monistat cream on her
She gets 1/4 pill crushed with 3 ml of water given in 2 doses per day of 1.5 each
I also add AVC with mother to the drinking water that’s close to the feed so I know she gets some ( this doesn’t hurt the other ducks )
Stay away from sweet treats like fruits as it feeds fungal
I have not separated her from the flock
None of my other birds get it
But this one is just more prone to it for some reason
It’s environmental so kinda hard for me to pin down where it’s coming from
This is the prescription I got for dasher
I picked it up at the regular pharmacy
She is still hanging on and keeping up. She sleeps well and doesn't seem to be suffering. I actually have some terbinafine 250mg and enough for 8 weeks. I'm starting to dose her today. I'm also moving the duck coop and run to a fresh spot and am switching the straw/hay bedding with large pine shavings. I'm going to sanitize their dishes and supplement their water with cinnamon oil, rosemary, and oregano for the antifungal properties, as well as continue the ACV.

How did you administer the dose? A needleless syringe down her throat?

She is still hanging on and keeping up. She sleeps well and doesn't seem to be suffering. I actually have some terbinafine 250mg and enough for 8 weeks. I'm starting to dose her today. I'm also moving the duck coop and run to a fresh spot and am switching the straw/hay bedding with large pine shavings. I'm going to sanitize their dishes and supplement their water with cinnamon oil, rosemary, and oregano for the antifungal properties, as well as continue the ACV.

How did you administer the dose? A needleless syringe down her throat?
So glad she is still doing good
My girl is just so use to meds she takes it with little effort at all
I never did the put it ti the back of the throat though. I put some on the tongue and let them swallow them do more
Yes needless
Others do it by going to the back of the throat on left side
I hold my ducks a certain way and seem to be able to give it easier without them getting away from me
@Miss Lydia has directions on how to give oral meds so you don’t make them aspirate
If your not comfortable doing that way then just do a bit slightly in on tongue and wait till they swallow them give a bit more till done
Remember the dose should be 1/4 of a pill crushed into 3 mls of water
I crush on a paper then add a little water to syringe then pull the bottoms of syringe keeping my fingers over the end so water doesn’t come out. Add crushed pill then put pusher back in take out the air and suck up the water till it hits 3 ml
Then shake will give 1.5 ml then I leave the second dose on counter till bedtime dose
Shake and give it
This is how I hold my ducks to check feet and give meds
That way I don’t need extra help

So glad she is still doing good
My girl is just so use to meds she takes it with little effort at all
I never did the put it ti the back of the throat though. I put some on the tongue and let them swallow them do more
Yes needless
Others do it by going to the back of the throat on left side
I hold my ducks a certain way and seem to be able to give it easier without them getting away from me
@Miss Lydia has directions on how to give oral meds so you don’t make them aspirate
If your not comfortable doing that way then just do a bit slightly in on tongue and wait till they swallow them give a bit more till done
Remember the dose should be 1/4 of a pill crushed into 3 mls of water
I crush on a paper then add a little water to syringe then pull the bottoms of syringe keeping my fingers over the end so water doesn’t come out. Add crushed pill then put pusher back in take out the air and suck up the water till it hits 3 ml
Then shake will give 1.5 ml then I leave the second dose on counter till bedtime dose
Shake and give it
This is how I hold my ducks to check feet and give meds
That way I don’t need extra help
I just dosed her with 1/4 crushed tablet of terbinafine in 3ml of water and gave her half of that. I kept dripping it on her tongue, and she was drinking it. She was separated again from her sisters by an outside corner of the coop. Now, I've haven't even tried to pick her (or any of them) up since they were ducklings three years ago, but she didn't put up an ounce of fight. Didn't even flap her wings once. She just sat in my arm while I gave her the meds. I then set her down in the run, got the rest of the girls in, and fed them, and she ran right up and started eating. I can tell she's exhausted though. About ten minutes later, she was sitting over by the run fence, gasping and resting. This is the worse I've seen her. She might not make it past tonight.

If she is the same or worse tomorrow, do you think still trying to give her meds is an effort in futility and will just prolong her suffering and should I euthanize her?

I just dosed her with 1/4 crushed tablet of terbinafine in 3ml of water and gave her half of that. I kept dripping it on her tongue, and she was drinking it. She was separated again from her sisters by an outside corner of the coop. Now, I've haven't even tried to pick her (or any of them) up since they were ducklings three years ago, but she didn't put up an ounce of fight. Didn't even flap her wings once. She just sat in my arm while I gave her the meds. I then set her down in the run, got the rest of the girls in, and fed them, and she ran right up and started eating. I can tell she's exhausted though. About ten minutes later, she was sitting over by the run fence, gasping and resting. This is the worse I've seen her. She might not make it past tonight.

If she is the same or worse tomorrow, do you think still trying to give her meds is an effort in futility and will just prolong her suffering and should I euthanize her?
If she is eating and drinking and is still fighting so I would continue to give meds
My first round with fungal infection I didn’t see improvements for 50 days
The meds take awhile to show its helping in all fungal situations
But my girl has never gone down hill from her issues so I’m not sure when would be a Give up time. Other then if they are eating they aren’t dying

If she is eating and drinking and is still fighting so I would continue to give meds
My first round with fungal infection I didn’t see improvements for 50 days
The meds take awhile to show its helping in all fungal situations
But my girl has never gone down hill from her issues so I’m not sure when would be a Give up time. Other then if they are eating they aren’t dying
That's a huge relief! She was puttering around on the pond with everyone else, too, just more slowly, but she was bobbing her head into the water every so often. I guess my main concern is if she's in pain or suffering, or is it just like when we have bronchitis or pneumonia and is just irritating?

That's a huge relief! She was puttering around on the pond with everyone else, too, just more slowly, but she was bobbing her head into the water every so often. I guess my main concern is if she's in pain or suffering, or is it just like when we have bronchitis or pneumonia and is just irritating?
I give medicam for swelling to help her with egg laying
Other then that mine seems very normal with everything
Just keep an extra eye on her
If in pain I find they won’t eat
I had a drake get his boy part bit in water by his brother ( think he thought it was a fish lol )
My boy didn’t eat for a few days. We got Medicam and it really helped him

I give medicam for swelling to help her with egg laying
Other then that mine seems very normal with everything
Just keep an extra eye on her
If in pain I find they won’t eat
I had a drake get his boy part bit in water by his brother ( think he thought it was a fish lol )
My boy didn’t eat for a few days. We got Medicam and it really helped him
What is the dosage on that? I have Meloxicam. Or does it need to be medicam?

Meloxicam, also known as Metacam, Mobic, or Loxicom, is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug used for both humans and dogs to reduce pain, stiffness, and i
Both the same.

Back
Top Bottom